• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquors for Curing Salmon Gravlax

David Ross

At least once a year, (typically in the Spring when the Copper River Salmon are running in Alaska), I make gravlax. Copper River Salmon is so rich and oily it doesn't need a lot of salt or sugar mixture to cure it, and it only needs a few whispers of liquor for flavoring.

Two years ago I used brandy when I made gravlax using a recipe from Julia Child. It was very good, and you could barely taste the brandy. This past Spring I made gravlax using some Aquavit that one of my employees brought back from her hometown in Norway. I felt that the Aquavit was too strong, it left somewhat of a bitter flavor when I was only planning on it lending a light note of anise. Maybe it was the combination of the Aquavit interacting with fresh dill? Maybe I used too much Aquavit or I should have substituted fennel seeds for the fresh dill? Any ideas? What types of liquors have you used when curing salmon gravlax?

I find many gravlax cures overpowering. A little booze or herb goes a long way. My current favorite liquor in gravlax is sake. The flavour works well with salmon, but doesn't dominate.

My usual recipe uses less salt than any I've seen, just a little light brown sugar to balance the salt, and a splash of sake or other off-dry rice wine. That's it.

I might roll the skin side in dill just before I slice it, but I usually don't put herbs in the cure. Again, I find they often overpower the salmon.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

At least once a year, (typically in the Spring when the Copper River Salmon are running in Alaska), I make gravlax. Copper River Salmon is so rich and oily it doesn't need a lot of salt or sugar mixture to cure it, and it only needs a few whispers of liquor for flavoring.

Two years ago I used brandy when I made gravlax using a recipe from Julia Child. It was very good, and you could barely taste the brandy. This past Spring I made gravlax using some Aquavit that one of my employees brought back from her hometown in Norway. I felt that the Aquavit was too strong, it left somewhat of a bitter flavor when I was only planning on it lending a light note of anise. Maybe it was the combination of the Aquavit interacting with fresh dill? Maybe I used too much Aquavit or I should have substituted fennel seeds for the fresh dill? Any ideas? What types of liquors have you used when curing salmon gravlax?

Isn't Aquavit traditionally flavored with caraway (kummel) seeds? Maybe those would work better in concert...?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The problem may have been the aquavit you used; some are more strongly flavoured/have less cooperative flavourings, so to speak (e.g. Linie smells a bit like perfume, so it doesn't mix well with a lot of things; Aalborg is simpler and more flexible); I'd go with one that has a fairly simple bouquet, and one that, even in the bottle, seems to mesh perfectly with the salmon.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've had tremendous success with Chartreuse.

Now that's a liqueur I wouldn't have considered for curing salmon. Describe the flavor. Did it discolor the salmon?