• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking a turkey breast so it's moist

Fat Guy

Season and butter inside and out, roast on a rack starting at 400F for 20 min, and turn down to 325F. Turn it over about 30-40 min into the cooking time, and then back the other way about 30-40 minutes after that. Baste every half hour once you've got enough fat to baste with. Remove at 160F internal temperature. Don't overcook it, and it won't be dry.

The skin should be nice and crispy, but if cholesterol concerns prohibit, well, such is life.

To slice, remove the breasts from the bone first using a long flexible boning knife and slice across the grain.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Steven - I serve 35-50 people turkey and the works every Christmas Eve. Doing everything required for that many people is impossible, so a few years ago, I experimented on doing turkey ahead of time. I end up with tender, moist breast meat every single time. I never got the reactions that I do now when I roasted a whole turkey. I use whatever turkey breast they have at my regular store - nothing fancy and I'm guessing that they are mostly the so-called 'pre-brined' ones. I roast mine in a Nesco, which you probably don't have and don't want to run out and get for this. I'd just use a covered roaster with a little chicken broth in the bottom. 350 degrees until JUST done. Cool slightly and slice. Store in a plastic bag with a little chicken broth. I reheat it in a slow cooker (again, with a little chicken broth) before serving. This turkey is good hot or cold. Extremely simple - BUT I almost never have leftover turkey!

There are two important steps to ensure a moist breast:

1. Brined. Most of the brining suggestions posted above sound reasonable to me. Brining does change the texture of the meat. It makes it more "homogenous" and less stringy. You may or may not like it. I love it.

2. Not overcooked (i.e. do not go above 65C/170F). This means the whole breast, not just the center. If you use ANY high heat method, you WILL end up overcooking the exterior before the interior reaches the desired level of done-ness.

In addition, there are a number of additional tips:

3. Cook meat on the bone wherever possible. Application of heat will cause the muscle to contract and squeeze out juices. Leaving meat on the bone minimizes muscle contraction.

4. Consider placing butter under the skin if roasting the whole bird. The butter protects the breast and crisps up the skin.

Here is a turducken I made for Christmas a few weeks ago. Tunnel boned, stuffed, then slow roasted. At the end, the turkey was smoked for an hour then skin crisped up by pouring hot oil over it.

_MG_5743_d743211322b58b2dcec804a.jpg

_MG_5772_75a6532b31682dcd29f3167.jpg

_MG_5773_4b600d54974c2cd9f02e521.jpg

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Are you asking me? If so, I don't need it to be in one piece.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dinner last night: carrots, onion and celery in the bottom of a roasting pan, enough water to come up 1/2"- 3/4". I used a turkey crown (double breast, on the bone, skin on). Seasoned and placed on top of the vegetables. Cover the whole thing with a lid or aluminium foil and roast/steam at 400F until it reaches 165F or so. (There'll be some carry over cooking as it rests.) No crisp skin, but the breast stays moist.