• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broth

heidih

I am a stock person who gets nervous when there are fewer than two containers in the freezer. I define stock loosely as long simmered bones (with some meat) that produces a gelatinous treasure. Broth seems more soup like to me. There is some discussion of the differences in this topic.

As we approach the New Year I see using broth (usually the universal it seems Swanson's chicken broth) touted as the answer to adding so much flavor (without fat- oh sure). Personally, if I start a dish with a saute of onion and some aromatic vegetables, adding water as the liquid is my go to.

How do you define broth, and in what incarnations do you find it adds to your dishes?

I tend to use home made chicken stock in most instances (including those where fish stock is called for).

My other liquids of choice tend to centre on wine, vegetable nage, or any other form of flavoured liquid (water in which dried chillies have been soaked, etc).

Really the only time I'll add water to a dish is if I've over-reduced it.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I think of broth as a light stock, not simmered as long or reduced, so flavorful but with only light body. I had never thought about the difference until I read Marcella Hazan caution her readers to use broth, not stock, in her recipes. But her recipe for meat broth has a simmer time of 3 hrs--not that different from many stocks.

For me, broth means seasoned liquid. It could be as simple as salted water or as complex as all get-out. Main thing is, it is ready to consume.

Stock for me, anyway, means a liquid to be converted to whatever use you may need it for, hence the name, stock. For this reason salt or strong flavours are never added.

For me, with meat, or without, bones only, gels when cold, etc. doesn't factor in. Salt and final seasonings do.