• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texture in Chinese food

One thing I have noticed about Chinese food vs Western is a greater appreciation of texture, particularly gelatinous textures. eg:

- Prized products sharks fin, birds nest or abalone, which seems to be prized for texture as much as flavour

- Sea slug, fish maw, bamboo pith!

- Chicken feet!

I wonder what your thoughts are on this one - is there more emphasis on texture that in the West (bearing in mind it /was/ the French who brought us pied de cochon)? How important is texture vis-a-vis taste? Why do the chinese seem to dig gelatinous so much?

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

(bearing in mind it /was/ the French who brought us pied de cochon)

I'm reminded of the time my wife went back for second helpings of the jellied pig's feet at a wedding reception in Brittany. Unquestionably, it broke the ice and eased our acceptance, but it also elicited comments such as "My parents ate that, but we don't have much of a taste for that these days."

:biggrin:

That appreciation is widespread in Europe, but it's probably strongest in rural cooking. To a small extent we all appreciate the quality a calves foot gives to the stock or the sauce, but not so many Americans appreciate at rich gelatinous bowl of tripe. I think you're correct however and it's appreciated tooa greater degree in Chinese food than European, both historically and today in urban areas.

Balance, I suppose like everything else, is relative. I think every western chef will claim his dishes are balanced, but it's not in the sense that Chinese chefs use the term. Japanese food as well seeks a balance that may be more like that sought in Chinese food and unlike western food which I feel seeks balance by reining in the extreme flavors more often than juxtaposing them. That's a random thought. Maybe I'm off base and might not be able to defend that.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.