• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn meal muffin mixture

Darienne

Thought hard to come up with a useful topic title. This doesn't quite do it.

I am making tiny corn muffins for the weekend. I have only ONE pan. The mixture is enough for two pans so I can use only half of it at a time. It calls for only ONE EGG. So I made the liquid portion and divided it into halves. And divided the dry portion into halves.

Then I mixed half the batter and baked it. Then I mixed the other half of the batter after the first ones were done, and backed it.

The reason I did it as noted above is because: I don't know if you can leave a mixed batter sitting around for close to half an hour. The corn bread batter quickly gets so thick and expands, that I don't know if you need to bake it within a certain time frame.

I am about to embark on a second batch, so if some brilliant person comes up with the answer soon, I'll either do the same method again...or mix it all at once and let the batter sit there waiting for the second batch.

Yeah, I am using a mix: Martha White's Self-rising Corn Meal Mix, the end of the bag brought home from Moab a year and a half ago. No, you can't get it here. The past few days have been chaotic...you don't want to know...and I am so far behind, that I decided to do one thing on the quick. Besides, Ed loves this mix. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I grew up on White Lily's Self-rising Corn Meal Mix, being from the South. I wish I could find it here in CA. I just have to get family to send it to me.

But, when I've made corn meal muffins from scratch, I just make the batter and refrigerate it. Bake later. Never had a problem. It also makes it easier to scoop being chilled. Not sure how a store bought mix would hold though.

Thanks Robyn. Well, we are about to see. I'll mix the whole thing and put half into the fridge and bake it later. The cooking life for me is just one long experiment. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.