• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfectly Shaped Hard Toffee Pieces... How?

xxchef

I'm probably late to the party again, but...

Yes, the spacers can be mix and match and combined to create the size piece you want. Depending on my use of the caramel depends on my prep. I sell a lot of hand wrapped caramels, so, I basically cut and wrap in waxed confectionery paper. Depending on the temperature I cook the caramel to, the caramel can have a tendency to "run" back together, so, I keep a sharp knife handy to "recut" - but, typically with the methods mentioned above, yes, the rolling cutter will cut nicely through the caramels.

Savage shipped my cutter in a "savage made" wooden box, which is what I've kept it in when not in use ever since. I'm having a candy table made for me and am hoping to get a spot built into one end of the table to hold the cutter for me - (look on their website for the idea).

I am very concerned about just anybody using that cutting tool, so, until I am very sure they won't cut off a finger (or more) I only allow a handful of people use the tool -

Depending on the temperature I cook the caramel to, the caramel can have a tendency to "run" back together, so, I keep a sharp knife handy to "recut" - but, typically with the methods mentioned above, yes, the rolling cutter will cut nicely through the caramels.

Which brings me to my next dilemma. I am really struggling with my caramel consistancy. Not "consistant consistancy" (I have no trouble consistantly hitting the consistancy I want), but in deciding on a consistancy. I chocolate-dip all of the caramels we make and am having trouble making a caramel that isn't either lovely and soft to eat but difficult to dip ("running", "seeping" or "slumping") or nice to dip but on the too-firm side for great eating. I have been leaning towards the softer set caramel, footing the slabs, and/or pre-coating the caramels before dipping. This works OK but is certainly a lot of work. Tried chilling the pieces slightly but that (no big surprise) caused some issues with getting a nice finish. I am otherwise extremely happy with my recipe and am not really interested in changing to a different type of caramel.

Any sage tips for working with softer caramels?

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I think we all have similar issues. One thing I have started doing is putting a "foot" on the top and bottom. This way, it tends to hold the caramel a little bit more square while waiting its turn to be dipped. I also use untempered chocolate so that it stays on a little better.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

If you have an extra $30,000 you could get an enrobing machine -

Are you currently using a dipping fork for your dipping? You could try hand dipping -

Instead of a "square" you could roll the cut caramel into balls and hand dip (or use a fork) -

I am sure these are not the answers your looking for though....

If you have an extra $30,000 you could get an enrobing machine -

Gosh, and I was just looking at a little 6" "lab table model" for only about $12,000. That's about what I did in sales all of last season (Oct-Dec)! A bit too long of a pay-back for me, I think.

Are you currently using a dipping fork for your dipping? You could try hand dipping -

Instead of a "square" you could roll the cut caramel into balls and hand dip (or use a fork) -

Yes, using a fork. I tried hand-dipping but couldn't get the nice smooth look I was trying for...

3Types.JPG [caramels on the right, obviously]

That might have just been a skill issue but I never was able to get it right to my satisfaction. Balls? Interesting idea. I might give that a whirl.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"