• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staging at Alinea - long hair question

BPBNY

Im doing a two day trail at Alinea very soon and i have gathered much information as to tools to bring and what happens at these trails that are different than other top restaurants around the world. I have found almost all the information i need except one big detail. Hair. I have a lot. After seeing pictures of no one wearing hats or anything im freaked out. I really would like to give a great impression and i will cut all of my hair off to do this stage but i do not want to if it is unecessary. Any tips? Any extra information to give so i can be extra prepared. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and i do not want to muck it up. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure it's going to be much of an issue...one of their sommeliers has gigantic hair.

Achatz himself has a pretty healthy mop these days.

Contain it as best you can, and follow any direction you're given with regard to it once you arrive.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Even if they are ok with it man, keep it smaller, since you are just a stage. More polite that way. A lot of places these days are pretty lax and chill about different styles, where I work is one, but I would still be cautious if it's a lot of hair. Like doodad said, first impressions count a lot, and personally, stage at alinea > my hair.

Also, good luck on the stage! So jealous :-p

Edited by MattyC (log)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

I guess thats true, but i feel like it almost a no brainer. Of course i should cut my hair to look presentable but the thing that I would hate if it's just plain unecessary. Also has anyone staged there for employment before? I know its a different process than an average week-3 month stage. I have two days to prove my worth. Any tips?

You could always just email Chef Achatz and ask.

-jrf

...or Tweet @ him. Just don't show up in dress shoes.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I guess thats true, but i feel like it almost a no brainer. Of course i should cut my hair to look presentable but the thing that I would hate if it's just plain unecessary. Also has anyone staged there for employment before? I know its a different process than an average week-3 month stage. I have two days to prove my worth. Any tips?

Well, unless you are Samson it is unlikely to hurt you in the long run. I personally could not rock a hairnet, but that is just me.

I am not a cook, but play one at home. I do however have years of business experience in two careers. The best advice I can offer is to keep your head down, ears open and mouth shut. Don't offer advice or criticism unless asked. Smile, volunteer if late duty comes up, show up early.

It's pretty simple.

You work in a restaurant and have loose, long hair. Odds are in favour of one of your hairs falling into the food.

As a Chef and employer I have absolutely no qualms or cares about long hair AS LONG AS IT IS TREATED PROPERLY

Sorry about the screaming it's just common sense, really.

-Braid it and coil it, and stuff in a hairnet or a hat.

I've had several women who've had waist length hair braided and running under their blouse along the back. (they'd always raid the broccoli or asperagus cases for rubber bands....)

Of course, if it's hot in the kitchen, it might make sense to have it cut short. Whole lot more manable, comfortable, and less shampoo needed too.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but I have to know... how did it go? Did you get the gig? What was the experience like?

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow