• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice and Herb Blends

nakji

I know that a lot of people grind their own whole spices, but last night I was in the initial stages of preparing HKDave's African Chicken recipe, when I realized I didn't have any five-spice powder. It was too late at night to go out, so I turned to our five-spice powder topic. Sure enough, I had all the constituent parts and it was easy to whip up a batch. It turned out so fragrant and powerful, that I got to thinking about what other spice blends I should be making.

I know garam masala is a classic, and I love bread made with herbes de Provence...what else is out there?

Acadian and Quebecois herbes salées are an excellent way to combine and preserve herbs.

Typically, one gets a mason jar and starts laying down various fresh herbs, layer by layer, with a coarse salt layer in between, pressing lightly every time. When one's jar is almost full, add cold water and let sit (laisser macérer) for several days.

A garden variety :laugh: herbes salées would likely have chives, parsley, savory, and onion.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Acadian and Quebecois herbes salées are an excellent way to combine and preserve herbs.

. . .

Peter, can you describe how you would use these herbs? Have googled but don't get much in the way of an explanation. My herb garden is going nuts this year and would love a different way to preserve some for the winter.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

Peter, can you describe how you would use these herbs? Have googled but don't get much in the way of an explanation. My herb garden is going nuts this year and would love a different way to preserve some for the winter.

My herb garden looks like it may go nuts any day. There was some talk of Acadian salted herbs here starting at #86 post. Basically, it's a way of adding salt and herb seasoning to pork pies when the winter is getting long. It's tastier than the dry herbs I get from the Ronco Dehydraer, but also much saltier. Herbes salées is very much old school. You can buy them in jars, with stuff like celery and grated carrot as well. I'll see if I can find some helpful links.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack