• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla beans

ElsieD

If this question has been asked before I apologize but I started looking for it, got to page ten and said the heck with it. If this question is a repeat - sorry. But please answer.

I have been cooking and baking for years but always used vanilla extract until last year when I converted to using mostly beans. When I scrape the vanilla bean to get the beans (seeds?), and then put the them in with my other ingredients, why do I end up with clumps of beans (seeds?)? I have some rice cooking on the stove right now and no amount of whisking is breaking the clumps down completely. Is there a secret to this? The same thing happened when I made vanilla ice cream.