• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in a NYC Apt

mathewr

I'd think with a powerful range hood you could get away with just about anything (though you'll be cleaning out the filters ofen if you make a habit of bbq ... ). Having no hood, I've never experimented with this. I get smoked flavors by using other smoked ingredients in sauces (bacon, smoked salt, lapsang souchong tea). It's not bbq, but it's nice. At Alinea, they make authentic smoked water and use it as an ingredient. Evidently it's better than bong water.

The biggest problem with that is that (in Manhattan, at least to my knowledge - don't know about the other boroughs) apartments aren't allowed to vent to the outside. So, no matter how powerful your range hood, it's still a recirculating model, which means that some of the smoke is just being recycled back into the apartment.

Evidently there are some apartment dwellers who illegally vent to the outside. As one who occasionally barbecued (okay, grilled) on my fire escape, I wouldn't say breaking laws is a good way to go.

Now, as to the bong water...

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'd think with a powerful range hood you could get away with just about anything (though you'll be cleaning out the filters ofen if you make a habit of bbq ... ). Having no hood, I've never experimented with this. I get smoked flavors by using other smoked ingredients in sauces (bacon, smoked salt, lapsang souchong tea). It's not bbq, but it's nice. At Alinea, they make authentic smoked water and use it as an ingredient. Evidently it's better than bong water.

The biggest problem with that is that (in Manhattan, at least to my knowledge - don't know about the other boroughs) apartments aren't allowed to vent to the outside. So, no matter how powerful your range hood, it's still a recirculating model, which means that some of the smoke is just being recycled back into the apartment.

Evidently there are some apartment dwellers who illegally vent to the outside. As one who occasionally barbecued (okay, grilled) on my fire escape, I wouldn't say breaking laws is a good way to go.

Now, as to the bong water...

Wow, I had no idea about the venting issue. Is that because apartments are close together or something? I would think the smell of BBQ wafting through the neighbourhood would be a plus..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Our apartment in Queens vents outside (theoretically--I think there may be a filter in there that I need to clean), but there's less density here than in Manhattan. There are mostly single-family homes, duplexes, and 3-4 story multi-family dwellings on our block.

Wow, I had no idea about the venting issue. Is that because apartments are close together or something? I would think the smell of BBQ wafting through the neighbourhood would be a plus..

Yes, but would you want the smell of boiled cabbage in the neighborhood? :blink:

V

Our apartment in Queens vents outside (theoretically--I think there may be a filter in there that I need to clean)

Turns out it was a sparrow's nest. Should be working much better now!

I've got some pork spareribs smoking in the wok using the method described in the video from the New York Times I linked above. The smoke from damp cherrywood chips smells nice, but it isn't smoking up the apartment. I'll report back when I know more.

UPDATE--Smoked for 90 minutes, haven't succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, fan's working well, haven't been smoked out of the house. Much less smoke involved than, say, broiling a steak in a grill pan. I'm going to let the wok cool for a bit before opening up the foil, while the oven preheats to 200F.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Okay, after 20 minutes, I opened the foil and there was no big smokey disaster. Ribs were coming along, 135F internal temperature, wok looks fine. Into the oven at 200F now, and they should be done in time for dinner, with a break in there to pick up toddler from preschool.

I noticed that in the video Jill Santopietro didn't soak the wood chips, though that seems to be the norm for outdoor smoking. I soaked and it seems like it didn't prevent smoke from happening, though it may have slowed things down, which wouldn't be a bad thing. Maybe next time I'll smoke for 2 hours.

WokSmokedRibs,2010-04-14,01.JPG

Not too bad for indoor smoking, I'd say. I did these with just a rub, no sauce. The smoke flavor was fairly light, and I think a little more would be good, so I'd be tempted to let it go 2 or 2-1/2 hours next time in the wok with damp wood chips instead of 90 minutes as I did this time, before transferring it to the oven.

While it's not the same as fully smoked ribs, it's a new flavor in my kitchen, different from Liquid Smoke, and different from the other indoor methods I've used for making ribs. I can see a lot of experimenting happening with this this summer.