• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting Pectins

gap

Hi,

I have to make a recipe tonight which calls for citrus pectin. Unfortunately I only have pectin NH on hand and no time to wait. Does anyone know what ratio should be used to substitute pectin NH for citrus pectin?

Cheers

Don't know if I'll hear any other answers but one chef I trust has told me to leave the amount of pectin the same in the recipe (ie., 1:1 ratio)

I think Pectin NH might give you a very different texture - but I'm not sure. I seem to recall I used the NH for a soft gelee when I made my bake off dessert, but citrus pectin I only use for jam.

What's the recipe?

Hi Kerry,

it's a jam recipe which needs to be slightly firmer than I normally like for the centre of macaroons

100% raspberries

80% sugar

0.8% citrus pectin

I ended up using pectin NH in the same ratio and it worked fine. I think you are correct though - if the pectin was a larger proportion of the recipe it would give a different texture.

Cheers

are you sure it worked fine? have you left them at room temperature yet? As long as NH is chilled it will be firm, it's designed for fillings actually but it is considerably weaker than citrus pectin, but a lot smoother in texture.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Definately worked. It might have been the frozen raspberries had enough natural pectin that the pectin NH wasn't needed?? That said, "smoother texture" is definately a description I would use for this batch versus the normal batch