• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Red Hot" Cinnamon Bonbon

pringle007

I checked out two new(er) local chocolatiers for the first time this week, and one gals work was very impressive. I tried a dark chocolate piece that had a very smooth, creamy filling of a dark chocolate ganache that had a nice taste of cinnamon. What got me was that the ganache taste like a "red hot" cinnamon candy and not your typical cinnamon chocolate. I would think that grinding the candies and using them in the ganache would leave the texture gritty, but aside from that, Im not sure how she got the taste - and heat - so spot on. Any idea how this was accomplished or does anyone have a similar recipe?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

You don't have to grind the candies, you can dissolve them in the liquid and sieve out any pieces that don't melt. I've never used them for a ganache but they definitely dissolve in liquid.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm betting it's the cinnamon oil too. I made a very similar ganache a few years back. I used about 15 drops of cinnamon oil to 200 grams of white chocolate.

I'm betting it's the cinnamon oil too. I made a very similar ganache a few years back. I used about 15 drops of cinnamon oil to 200 grams of white chocolate.

I made cinnamon "meltaway" bon bons for Valentines Day this year using cinnamon oil. It's nice to be able to control the amount of "heat" you want in your ganache.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Thanks gang. I'll look around and grab some cinnamon oil and start toying with a ganache!

By the way, a Cinnamon Melt-away sounds awesome!!

Edited by pringle007 (log)

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me