• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long can this chicken marinate...

Emily_R

I put some chicken in a Korean marinade late Thursday night... I'm wondering -- how long would you guys feel comfortable leaving it marinating in the fridge for... Do you think I can leave it for three days (until tomorrow night?) Or is that pushing my food safety luck?

Emily

I agree with the above. Chicken marinates easily and 12-18 hours for chicken is long. You may end up with a dried out and overly marinated chicken. Does the recipe

really call for that long marinating time?

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Thanks all, its a relief to know that food safety doesn't seem to be a huge issue -- I froze half of the chicken yesterday, and will make the other half tonight and report back. The marinade includes pureed onions, Korean gojujang, ginger, garlic, soy, mirin, and sugar. Recipe calls for it to be marinated for 24 hours... I'll see how it turns out and will report back...

Emily

one question i didn't see addressed above: how long after purchase did you marinate the chicken? if you'd already had it in the fridge a few days prior to marinating, i'd be leary of it after 1-2 days in the marinade. if it was fresh, i wouldn't worry about the food safety, but as previous posters mentioned, texture might be an issue.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

So the chicken was quite fresh when I put it in the marinade, and after 3 days the texture was fine... Maybe a little tough, but not spongy at all like I had feared it might be... Thanks for the advice everyone!