• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake icing

brokenscale

My friends mom is a baker who does wedding cakes in Seattle. She was recently in town for her grand daughters first birthday and the icing on the cake was delicious. When I asked her what was in it and how it was made she told me it was just whipped heavy cream with flavorings and gelatin added to stiffen it. I tried the recipe with the ratios she has given me and it is too firm. I tried backing off the gelatin and then tried whipping to soft peaks instead of stiff peaks. I cant seem to get it to come out right, any ideas?

Have you tried leaving out the gelatin? My favorite cake topping is Chocolate whipped cream, but I don't use any gelatin as suggested by the folks here.

Although, I assume you aren't looking for chocolate whipped cream or you would have said that!

white chocolate would work to stiffen it without gelatin; I always like to add some of the cream to the melted chocolate (as if you were tempering it) so you don't get bits of hardened chocolate in the cream. You can also add some of the cream to the chocolate and then melt it and add the whipped cream to it.....