• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norman Love Technique - Black

Sebastian

http://www.normanloveconfections.com/chocolates/black/

Thoughts on how the black stripe is achieved, with an apparent higher density of color on either side of the stripe, done in such a fashion as to allow some level of throughput? It's done very, very uniformly on each piece..

I heard it was done with a q-tip.

Any thoughts on this one, the champagne?

http://www.normanloveconfections.com/chocolates/darks/

Has a 'rain' effect.

Hard to tell from the picture - but I wonder if the effect could be had by putting a large drop in the bottom of the mold, then blowing in air with an airbrush?

Hahaha, kerry, thats the first thing I thought when I looked at the picture, must be a q-tip.

regardless of what they used the concept was the wipe away a strip from the airbrushed molds. I bet a q-tip or something similar will work quite well.

And the champagne one looks like it was scratched away with something firm, like a wire brush.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

http://www.normanloveconfections.com/chocolates/black/

Thoughts on how the black stripe is achieved, with an apparent higher density of color on either side of the stripe, done in such a fashion as to allow some level of throughput? It's done very, very uniformly on each piece..

I heard it was done with a q-tip.

I think Kerry is right. The mold is sprayed with the color or colors used. I suspect a "back spray" of thinned chocolate or black cocoa butter was used to punch up the color. Then the void was created using a q-tip or rubber tip depending on how fine a line you might want.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

There are some new photos of black available, and if you look, the stripe appears not to be chocolate but a dark color of some sort. Its line is not even, and looks like a painted line as you see faint breaks where a "redipped" tool can be applied. As for the champaign, I did something like that last year. I dropped a small bit of CCB in the bottom, then waited till it started to set and use a fat brush to pull the butter up the sides, making sure I applied plenty of pressure so that the brush strokes would be defined. I'll look in my files and see if I can find the photos of my pieces...

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Perhaps the void is created in the bright color prior to the back spray of black cocoa butter.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Perhaps the void is created in the bright color prior to the back spray of black cocoa butter.

Anyone bringing an airbrush to the conference? Perhaps we can experiment.

I have four airbrushes I can bring, but I think I mentioned that to Leb already..

I'm not ignoring you on that, just simply haven't reached that far down the list yet. It is the next item though. :smile:

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things