• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making tofu a la Morimoto

vloglady

Hi, we dined the other night at Morimoto's in Philly. I had the yosedofu, which is fresh tofu created at your table served with crab ankake and soy sauce. It was amazing.

The server brings a hot pot of soymilk to the table, along with a small dish of a salt/magnesium mixture. He slowly drizzled the salt mixture into the soymilk, slowly stirring. when it was all incorporated, he replaced the lid and said it had to stand for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, he came back, took off the lid and it was tofu! He placed a spoon on top to show it had congealed. He took a knife, scored it into big squares and served us on two small plates. There was some crab sauce (so delish, it could have been a soup) and a soy/dashi sauce.

Has anyone made tofu with this method? I've googled it and found some info at http://www.justhungry.com/2006/03/milking_the_soy_1.html

But I'm telling you, he just mixed this liquid in, let it stand for 10 minutes and it was tofu.

thanks.

susan

Well I cant tell you anything about Tofu Making but Gypsum is available as a common beer brewing supply

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association