• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something to do

Lior

My friend and colleague, Motti has a fabulous new technique that he is happy to share. He did a photo demo of a new method of filling bonbons with liqueur, using the technique that Shneich once shared with us- using a guitar sheet to finish off bars.

1-make shells as usual

2. fill with liqueur/s

3. spread chocolate onto a guitar sheet

4. place sheet on top of mould and swipe with a spatula

5. Leave on

6. Take off and out

7 wrap

motti1.jpg

moti2.jpg

moti3.jpg

moti4.jpg

moti5.jpg

moti6.jpg

moti7.jpg

It is very difficult to finish the bottoms of the bonbon shells when there is such a fluid liquid involved. Usually a sugar syrup/alcohol solution is used. I am sure shelf life is not long his way, but they are sealable!

Conventional methods are usually alcohol in a sugar syrup so crystals form a layer between the alcohol and chocolate. Truffle ball shells are used which have a small opening at the top, the top of the filling also would form the crystal layer allowing you to finish it with a bit of chocolate. I hope the explanationis clear-I am flu-y and sleepy!!

This is fascintating! I don't imagine I would do alcohol chocolates but you never know - and it would work for any liquid.

I remember the method of using acetate sheets to finish off bars but the chocolate wasn't applied to the sheet itself.

Can you explain further how the chocolate on the sheet is transferred to the shells and how it would be different from regular bottoming?

Thanks Ilana!

And no rush if you're not feeling well. :sad:

well to finish shells as regular would obviously get liquid into the chocoalte. To place chocolate along a row of shells and the place the acetate on top of the shells and with the spatual thing swipe from body and away may also cause a liquid mess. So placing the chocolate on the sheet and then lifting uo the sheet and placing it face down on the mold would cover up the shells, and then a light swipe.