• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

steamed pudding problem...

melissafitz

i've never made a steamed pudding before, and i had a request for christmas, so i thought i'd do a test run today. thankfully.

my pudding mold floats and bobs in the water. how on earth do i prevent this from happening? double the recipe? as it is, the batter only fills the mold a bit over 1/4. i also don't have a steamer insert, but i don't know how that effects the process. i put the mold on top of a ceramic dish placed at the bottom of the pot.

anyway, any experts out there on steaming puddings?

(btw, the pudding cooked on the side that it bobbed toward and is delicious. the other side is more than a tad undercooked...)

i've never made a steamed pudding before, and i had a request for christmas, so i thought i'd do a test run today. thankfully.

my pudding mold floats and bobs in the water. how on earth do i prevent this from happening? double the recipe? as it is, the batter only fills the mold a bit over 1/4. i also don't have a steamer insert, but i don't know how that effects the process. i put the mold on top of a ceramic dish placed at the bottom of the pot.

anyway, any experts out there on steaming puddings?

(btw, the pudding cooked on the side that it bobbed toward and is delicious. the other side is more than a tad undercooked...)

I put mine on a rack - it steams, doesn't actually touch the water. I guess you'd have to double the recipe to fill the mold more.

Melissa - if you have a slow cooker and a rack it's a great way to cook steamed puddings. I have had a big round slow cooker for years - and found the rack that was made for it at a thrift store a few months back.

thank you, kerry -- i will see if my pudding tin fits in the slow cooker! otherwise, i think i'm going to try it your way -- no submersion of the tin, just steaming.

meanwhile, the gingerbread orange marmalade pudding, while being very wonky, was quite good.