• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maize flour

stuartlikesstrudel

Hey all,

I recently bought some "Maize flour" when I was at a shop with heaps of different types... I was hoping it might be an alternative name for Masa Harina, which I haven't been able to find here in Melbourne. However, it appears that it's not.

I haven't got a photo to attach for now, but it's a yellow-ish flour, not grains like polenta but fully ground to flour texture (smooth, soft). I don't think it's the same Cornflour as the white one we buy as a thickener, because this one is different in color and, since it was with other flours, I'm guessing it's used like a regular flour in some way. But this is just speculation I guess.

Anyone know what this might be useful for? Special recipes or suggestions would be great. I am mighty confused!

Sounds like it's, well, corn flour, which in the US is finely ground dried corn. (Here, we call the stuff you're calling "cornflour" corn starch, bc it's the white powdered starch extracted through milling corn. Nomenclature...!)

We have it around the house as a staple for corn breads, coating for fried items, pancakes, and other items.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's nice for making dessert cakes with a corn flavor because it doesn't have the texture of cornmeal that makes people instantly think of corn bread. Some corn juice (aka "milk") worked into the recipe along with the flour is even better. Add some blueberry or blackberry components to go with it and watch everybody smile.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.