• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Central, Paramus

Chef Central has never been about foodstuffs. Even when they 1st openned, with a much better selection than they have now. Its always been about hardware. If you want food go to Jerry's, Han ah Rhum, Fairway, Carrados, Zabars or Citarella. They're all in easy striking distance of No. NJ. If you want a good selection of kitchen "stuff" this a good choice. I think the only other place that comes close is Fortunoff in Wayne (I'm stickly talking about No. NJ).

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

What was different about the selection when they first opened?

A larger selection of oils and vinegars. Some grains and nuts, more hot sauce and other things I can't remember. Everything they have there can be had at other places (see my previous post) cheaper and with a much larger selection.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have been a pretty big proponent of this place. the slightly inflated prices never bothered me, as i felt they were balanced out the convenience and selection. however, that all changed today.

i bought a soda water maker a few days ago. these things run on CO2 charges. i asked the guy who was helping me for a box of charges, and he ran behind the counter, got them (i'm assuming), and told me that they were there waiting for me (i was in line at this point).

the computers were down that day, so it was a bit of a madhouse. they were writing things up by hand on one line, computing the total, and then sending you to the register line. the fellow wrote up my stuff, including the soda water maker, and i told him that the guy helping me had got a box of charges for the thing and not to forget putting them on. he added them and ran around to the counter to get me the box.

when i got home, and used one, i realized that he had given me charges for whipped cream. i used one of the 10 or whatever is in the box, and soon realized that this was *definitely* not what the manufacturer recommends. now, if this was 10 years ago, i would have just put them in a balloon and got high. but it's not, and i figured i'd just take them back, as i was going back to buy more boxes of the correct CO2.

i went back today, with my receipt, and told the woman at the register what happened. we had some laughs about getting high and whatnot, and she passed me over to another woman to finish the return. i'm not sure if this person was a manager or what, but she told me that she couldn't accept the return "because you used one."

i explained, again, that this is what the person gave me when i asked for charges for the seltzer maker.

she said "well did you tell him it was for seltzer?"

i said "yeah, i did, and i was sitting there with the 50 dollar seltzer maker in my hand."

she got all indignant and said "well i can't sell these. it's 'defective merchandise'".

i said "well that's not my problem. you sold it to me, and it was the *wrong* merchandise."

her next comment was "it says 'cream' right on it", as she reluctantly proceeded with the return. i was tempted to say "no, it says 'creme', and i don't speak whatever language that is." but i opted for "well you might want to tell the guy who gave it to me that. he works here and he should know better."

this see you next tuesday acted as though it was coming out of her paycheck. even if it was, she should have eaten it without the third degree. what did she expect me to say? "yeah lady, i'm trying to get over on you for 7 fucking dollars." and from a store that honors others' coupons and regularly sends out 20% off coupons (which i didn't use).

i've spent countless dollars there, and would have continued. i've sent countless people there. all of that has quickly changed. and yes, i'm writing a letter. all over a 7 dollar return that was their mistake to begin with.

ok. i feel better now.

Thanks for the report. I hope someone from Chef Central  with common sense sees what you have written.

the best part was the woman at the register with whom i initally started the transaction. she was basically rolling her eyes behind this woman as if to say "what a bitch." i smiled and waved good-bye to her. the nasty woman didn't get much in the way of a good-bye. :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

I just knew there had to be a Chef Central thread on here! But since it started before my time, I'm just reviving it without reading the 82 previous posts ('tho I did read Tommy's last trauma, and I HATE sh*t like that--whatever happened, btw?!?).

ANYWAY...just wanted to let y'all know that I went up there tonight for a wander, and they have a special this week on Calphalon roasting pans with the rack for $39.99! Quite the bargain...

They're also (I can't even believe I'm writing this b/c now I'll never get a seat) about to start a Certified Master Chef Series...first one is on Sept. 17th at 7pm with CIA Chef Thomas Griffiths, who runs the 'healthy' restaurant up at the CIA. The chef who was doing a demo tonight explained that CMCs are few and far between (something like 80 in the country, if I heard him correctly) and that they're fantastic instructors. The CMCS demos are FREE, but I suspect you'll have to get there early. The next few are on Oct. 8th and Nov. 8th. October's theme is Italian, November is Thanksgiving. Someone save me a seat, willya? :raz:

Edit: Forgot to mention there's also some Emile Henry stuff 50% off b/c they're discontinued colors...blue and saffron. And of course, if you go, you get to walk around. One of my favorite places to just WANDER!!!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 months later...

The next Certified Master Chef event this Monday (11/8) at 7pm. The guest is CIA Chef Russell Scott, who will highlight Regional American Cooking.

Arthur Schwartz will be there on Wed. Dec. 1st at 7pm for a demo, tasting and book signing.

Laura Schenone, autor of A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove will be there on Sat. Dec. 4th at 11:30am for a demo, tasting and signing.

One of these days I'm going to start charging for posts of this nature! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 6 months later...

On my trip up Rt 17 today, I stopped in to Chef Central, ostensibly to look for a wedding gift for friends. Ahem. I did manage to get myself a bargain, though...a Circulon 5qt dutch oven. For 19.99. Needless to say, there are more than a few bargains to be had around the store right now! And they're having a big sale on All-Clad as well.

Two reminders if you decide to go there...1) stop in to Indian Chef inside the Intl Food Warehouse in Hackensack :wink: and remember that Chef Central accepts coupons from Linens 'n Things and Bed, Bath & Beyond! A beautiful thing, esp when you consider how often L&T and B3 mail out 20%-off coupons...