• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Oven Pound Cake

Becca Porter

Cold Oven Pound Cake

After trying a variety of recipes my sister and I found this one to be our favorite. It has a really buttery flavor and a lighter crumb than usual pound cakes. I am unsure where it originally comes from. My sister has had it in her files for a while. It makes two cakes. Perfect to keep one and gift the other.

• 1 c unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 c granulated sugar
  • 5 large eggs, room temperature
  • 3 c all-purpose flour, sift three times before measuring
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c whipping cream

Butter and flour two 9 by 5 inch loaf pans.

Whisk salt and baking powder into presifted flour. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light, fluffy and almost white, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping mixer to scrape down sides. Add eggs one at a time slowly, beating well after each addition. Add one third of the flour mixture into the mixer set at low speed. Add half the whipping cream. Continue alternating flour and cream, ending with flour. Add vanilla. With a rubber spatula scrape down sides and bottom until completely mixed. Pour into loaf pans, up to 2/3 full.

**Start in a cold oven.**

Place pans on middle rack of oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Note: It only took mine 55 minutes, so check early.)

* My favorite combination of eggs is 5 eggs with an extra yolk or two. Supposedly the seven egg version in Elvis' favorite pound cake.

Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Cake, American

( RG1598 )

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com