• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulggogi and bukalbi marinade (think bibimbap)

torakris

Bulggogi and bukalbi marinade (think bibimbap)

This marinade works for about 2 pounds of meat. I use this for any type of beef.

For ground beef use it in bibimbap, or try wrapping it in lettuce leaves with either rice or julienned veggies such as cucmber or daikon, don't forget to add a dollop of kojuchang to the leaf as well.

If you can buy strips of meat already cut that is fine (the last time I was in the US I noticed a stirfry cut in the meat department), you can also cut your own.

If you have access to an Asian market that sells meat, look for the thinly (paper thin) cut slices. This is what I usually use.

It is also great on steaks, but my favorite is with short ribs or the ribs (I don't know what they are called in English) that are about 6 inches long, 1/2 an inch thick and have 3 half circle shaped bones. I always had a hard time finding them in Cleveland, but every store in Hawaii sells them.

• 1/2 c soy sauce (preferably Japanese, NOT the American Kikkoman)
  • 3 T sugar (white granulated)
  • 3 T apple or nashi, grated preferably on a daikon or ginger grater
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, grated (same way as the apple)
  • 4 T sesame seeds, toasted
  • 4 T dark sesame oil
  • 1 T black pepper

Mix everything together and add to meat, use right away or marinate a couple of hours.

Keywords: Easy, Beef, Main Dish

( RG1430 )

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"