• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels

Rachel Perlow

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Bagels 4 You chain. Almost all the locations have some seating, though you wouldn't really call this restaurant seating. Traditional bagels are excellent here, I have an onion bagel with either lox spread or scallion cream cheese 3 or 4 times a week from the Warren location. Bagels are not big and puffy however, there are too many specialty, non traditional, bagels ie: strawberry, blueberry, peanut butter etc. I guess people buy these things so who am I to complain? Tuna fish and whitefish spread are also very good. Service is ok, most of the people speak Spanish which is sort of weird. Nice Jewish boy like me buying his bagels from someone from Equador or Costa Rica. Then again on Elmora Ave in Elizabeth the bagel store is owned by an Italian and the Pizzaria by orthodox Jews.

Sammy's bagels on River Road in Fairlawn are very good. They are located near the Shop Rite on River Road. They offer many different spreads and eggs etc. It is cafeteria style, but they are very pleasant there.

Enjoy the bagels. :smile:

THERE IS A BAGEL SHOP WITH TABLES JUST A FEW STEPS DOWN FROM THE SILVER POND CHINESE REST. ON MAIN ST. IN FORT LEE. AGAIN IN FORT LEE THERE IS A BAGEL SHOP WITH A SEPERATE AREA WITH LOTS OF TABLES ON LEMOINE AVE. RIGHT PAST THE FIRE HOUSE.

Hank

• 1 year later...

The NY thread about bagels reminded me of the similarly bad bagel situation in New Jersey;

However, I have recently discovered a place that is bucking the trend: Goldberg's Bagels, Heidenberg Plaza, Closter, has bagels that are different from most of the others; they are much smaller and denser, with much less air. At first take, you feel that you are not getting your 55 cents worth, but after a few bites, you realize that this is what bagels are supposed to be like. The place has all of the usual accompaniments, cream cheeses, nova, salads, and the like, but the bagels are worth a side trip for!

Goldberg's Bagels

Next to CVS in Heidenberg Plaza

Closter, N.J.

If you haven't tried Super Duper Bagles in Livingston, you need to try them.

A small out of the way place. The owner is somewhat of a jerk but the bageLs are incredibley well made. A light crunch to the outside and light and soft on the inside.

Don't try buying them on Saturday, they're religious. Also they run out of a lot of them by about 10 or 11 am.

CHECK IT OUT!!!

Edited by bbqbrisket (log)

I used to work up the street from Livingston Bagel (Northfield Ave in Livingston, near the intersection of S. Livingston Ave); huge Jewish deli with everything from chicken soup and knishes to GREAT sloppy joes and breakfast, and enough tables that you don't have to wait too long. The bagels are good there, but I preferred the bagels about 2 blocks away at SuperDuper Bagels. It's in a small strip of stores (ON S. Liv Ave across from SRite--where Tabatchnick's used to be), but it's a grab and go only, and I'm not sure if the ownership is the same as it was. They were SO soft on the inside, but there was enough 'crust' on the outside. The BEST bagels. EVER. And now I'm wishing I had one...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And PS, although it's off the topic, Livingston Bagel has TERRIFIC ruggelach (sp?)!!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 months later...

As a new member combing through old threads, this one piqued my interest so I thought I'd give my input, even if it is a month after the fact.

Having lived in New York for 10 years and making many a nocturnal visit to H&H at 3 am to get freshly baked bagels, it was very difficult for me to find something comparable here in New Jersey. After an exhaustive search for quite a few years I was overjoyed to find something of a similar caliber.

It could be a bit of a distance for most of the Essex and Bergen County members in this forum but Time Out for a Bagel in Morris Plains is, imo, the best bagel West of the Hudson.

Although they open at 5 am, they're there making bagels hours before that. Getting there at 5:05 won't necessarily guarantee you a fresh from the oven bagel (the holy grail of bageldom :) ) but it will improve your odds. Every hour after that and your odds go down dramatically until 12 when not only won't you get a hot bagel, the selection will be miniscule. By 2 the bagels are almost always gone.

It's cafeteria style. They have a few tables where people are usually eating/reading the paper. On weekend mornings the tables are jammed full and the line is out the door.

The service is horrible - no one speaks English and they rush you when ordering, but the bagels are unbelievable.

If you do go, no matter what you do, don't get the blueberry bagel - it uses imitation blueberry (more like grape) flavoring.

I don't regard H&H as a standard of what a bagel should be. For that, visit Elmora Bagels on Elmora Avenue in Elizabeth; it's owned by the same family that owned and operated Watson Bagels in Newark, and they use the same recipe and technique here. The family also operates a kosher bakery (where I believe the bagels can also be purchased) at Millburn Mall on Vauxhall Road (it's actually in Union, just over the line from Millburn). And if you're at Millburn Mall you can also pick up some smoked fish at Tabachnik's, or get a hot dog at Syd's. Of course, if you go to Elmora Bagels you can cross the street and get a great corned beer or pastrami sandwich at Goodman's. What a wealth of opportunity!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Where is Time Out for a Bagel in Morris Plains located?

I just looked it up in the phone book, I was off on the name, it's:

Time For A Bagel

680 Speedwell Ave.

Morris Plains

973-984-5885

For those of you familiar with Morris Plains, it 2 or 3 doors down from Arthurs/Collins Pub and it's right across the street from the train station. There's only a couple of parking spaces in the front. If those are full, there's plenty of parking in the back, as well as a back entrance. Just take the turn next to Arthurs and the parking lot will be on your left.

The bagels, at 60 cents a piece aren't cheap. On Wednesday they sell a dozen for somewhere around 4.50, which is a pretty good deal.

And one last thing. Watch what bagels they give you, some can get a little light/dark/misshapen - don't be afraid to be assertive and request a different one.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Hands down the best bagel restaurant in Bergen County is Ronnie's Bagels in Hillsdale and Norwood and soon to be in Oradell so I am told.

Ronnie's bagels, spreads, salads and lox are plentiful, fresh and delicious. His Hillsdale location is rather cramped, but you will be able to get a table if you are patient. Be prepared to wait in a long line if you arrive on the weekend around noon. I assure you, however, it's worth the wait.

Ronnie is a great guy. He is often out and about in the restaurant greeting customers (many of us are regulars.) His restaurant was one of the filming locations for the television show, Ed (I think that's the name) and he has photos of the cast and crew on the walls.

My favorite is the "Ronnie's Special" -- bagel, lox, smear of cream cheese, cucumber, tomato, onion and a splash of lemon juice. Try it!!!!

Janbee :biggrin:

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

Guess that's what makes horse races-- never liked Ronnie's Bagels-- they are huge, and like pillows. If you are a fan of giant, very soft bagels, the ones at Cresskill Hot Bagels are tastier (Same owners in Dumont) . But for small, crisp. tasty bagels I like Goldberg's Bagels in Closter. (No relation to any other Goldberg's).

Most of my recommendations for Bergen County "sit downs" have already been mentioned, and most quite accurate. Don't forget, bagel preference is like ice cream flavor preference, which is why you will see a "like" and "dislike" for the same shop.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the small bagel shop on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn, in a small strip mall at the spot where Morlot Ave meets Saddle River Road.

Take out bagels only (and soda/juices/refrigerated butter and spreads). The big and pillowy type, good outside crust and varieties.

The big draw?? They are baked virtually in front of you, and I still can't figure how these guys manage to handle the bagels long enough to put them in a bag.

The bagels are always SO hot that you really have to keep the brown bag open so the crust doesn't steam itself soft on the way home.

Abel Bagels in Hamilton used to be delicious, but I think they've been closing down due to competition from Einstein's and the like. There used to be a few, with one on Rt. 33...there's still one in the beleaguered Mercer Mall though.

Guest johnh91011

Can someone explain why there is a difference in the bagels I get from the street vendors in NYC and the ones I get in stores. The ones from the vendors are considerably lighter. Maybe they are not the ones bagel-aholics like but I do enjoy them. Is there anywhere in northern NJ I can get these types?

I know exactly the ones you're talking about. I'm ashamed to say that I used to eat 3 of those for breakfast. Not that I adored them, persay, but they were convenient, and relatively fresh. Which, for me, is a huge selling point, no matter what the bagel.

Finding those in NJ could be tough. To be honest, if I had found them, I probably would have immediately crossed the store off my list. Sorry.

Hopefully there's a fan of lighter, less crunchy, paler bagels in this forum that can help.

• 7 months later...

I have been doing some searching on the site, and came across this topic. I am a HUGE bagel snob. I find most bagels to be utterly dissapointing (same w/ pizza). However, after much searching, I finally found my favorite Bagel. It's on Rt 46 in Fairfield, in the same shopping Center as Drug Fair. It's called Fairfield Hot Bagels. Do yourselves a favor and try these bagels. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Very timely topic as I continue my endless and futile quest for a decent wholesaler. I came across an interesting article, Old Newark Memories, - and contacted most of the stores mentioned, all to no avail.

It's really a fascinating article (Jason, did you point it out?) Has anyone ever tried the bagel stores mentioned in the article? -- Elmora Bagels in Elizabeth, Sonny's Bagels in S. Orange, Wigler Bakery in the Millburn Mall or any of the Bagels-4-U stores?

In my pursuits, I ended up speaking to one of the Amsters and he mentioned a quality bagel store that he thought might wholesale in Harrison. Like a jerk, I lost the piece of paper with the name and phone number. Anyone know such a place?

I have been doing some searching on the site, and came across this topic. I am a HUGE bagel snob. I find most bagels to be utterly dissapointing (same w/ pizza). However, after much searching, I finally found my favorite Bagel.  It's on Rt 46 in Fairfield, in the same shopping Center as Drug Fair. It's called Fairfield Hot Bagels. Do yourselves a favor and try these bagels. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Eastbound or Westbound side?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Very timely topic as I continue my endless and futile quest for a decent wholesaler.  I came across an interesting article, Old Newark Memories, - and contacted most of the stores mentioned, all to no avail. 

It's really a fascinating article (Jason, did you point it out?)  Has anyone ever tried the bagel stores mentioned in the article?  -- Elmora Bagels in Elizabeth, Sonny's Bagels in S. Orange, Wigler Bakery in the Millburn Mall or any of the Bagels-4-U stores? 

In my pursuits, I ended up speaking to one of the Amsters and he mentioned a quality bagel store that he thought might wholesale in Harrison.  Like a jerk, I lost the piece of paper with the name and phone number.  Anyone know such a place?

My family has been going to Elmora bagel since they opened. I have since moved further south, but Elmora continues to be the standard that I hold bagels to.

Just to note that in my current location I have found an acceptable bagel at

Brooklyn Bagels in Rumson. It is a little bigger and fluffier than I like, but I counteract that by requesting all well done bagels and it results in an acceptable crusty/chewy relationship.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I always try to stop at Bagel Supreme at 252 Mountain Ave. in Springfield (not to be confused with the inferior Bagel Chateau a few doors away) for a Freshly-Made, Hot, Hand-Rolled, Delicious Bagel or Bagel Stick.

Now, I need to find a place even half as good in the Princeton/Hightstown area...

There used to be a shop on the north side of Cedar Lane in Teaneck just called Hot Bagels. It was sort of caddy cornered to Louie's Charcoal pit diner and on the other side of the street from Louie's and Bischoff's. Don't know if it's still there or has changed ownership, but those were the holy grail of bagels. You could watch them coming out of the boiling water baths and then getting placed on long rotisserie type racks in the oven. They were, as advertised, HOT and delicious. I grew up eating those every weekend and if I close my eyes, that's what a bagel tastes like to me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol