• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What should my deli stock?

My question to you, Basildog, would be: how are you envisaging sourcing your produce - other than what you make yourselves of course. I find that good deli's have great products, but that they are often the same from one shop to the other, because there is a limited amount of really good suppliers to shops. As an example, the best Spanish stuff comes through Brindisa. So, wherever you are in this country, if they have good Spanish products then they are the usual Brindisa fare. And that gets boring (to me at least).

Of course, for a shop-keeper to source foods from the horses mouth is very expensive and time-consuming, so it is natural that you would use wholesalers/distributors. And there are certain products which you would want to stock as a matter of course because they are simply the best, regardless of their ready availability in other deli's.

One of the important considerations will be whether you are competing with other such shops in the neighbourhood and how you would differ from them. Didn't Rick Stein also have a deli in Padstow? Is it still going?

By the way, isn't it 'artisanal' in English English? Not that we use the word much.

In the end, Basildog, I would say, go for the product itself, rather than the fancy packaging. But that's what the others have been saying to you as well. And the more that comes from your own kitchen the better.

All the best

v

Thanks for all the good ideas on this, it is apprecaited. :biggrin:

As for suppliers, i'm looking at the suplliers we already use.Bascially i want to sell the stuff we use in our kitchen, and as a shop for some suppliers, like a local herb producer, farmer...who don,t have the time, premises or inclination to sell direct to the public

Thanks for all the good ideas on this, it is apprecaited. :biggrin:

As for suppliers, i'm looking at the suplliers we already use.Bascially i want to sell the stuff we use in our kitchen, and as a shop for some suppliers, like a local herb producer, farmer...who don,t have the time, premises or inclination to sell direct to the public

Sounds good, Basildog. Slaving over a hot stove as usual I see.

:wink:

v

By the way, isn't it 'artisanal' in English English?  Not that we use the word much.

If it existed you are, of course, correct that it would be "artisanal", but no such word is found in the OED. Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate (American English) Dictionary does list it, but I have no access to the full version so I don’t know when the word was first coined. I find it somewhat awkward but it does serve a purpose.

[sounds good, Basildog.  Slaving over a hot stove as usual I see.

:wink:

v

UP YA BUM!

actually its very quiet tonight...i have just served the starters to our 2 booked tables...so semi slaving tonight :wink:

Well - if you were a bit nearer London you'd be inundated with e-gulleteers every evening. A good thing or bad, I wonder?

v

OK, I found a better truffle supplier, although theu're a bit pricey at £2.50 a kilo, but back to the topic to hand...

Yeah, that was it, POACHED PEARS in huge glass jars, mail order, shipped to my table in 24 hours at a bargain price, including delivery of ... let's say ... £15 a jar of four pears. I'll take two jars a month (or rather, my wife will take two jars a month) and we'll see wehat happens when my friends get tasters :smile:

And finally, Basildog, you gotta do chopped liver. Jewish Roumanian style, with crispy fried onions and schmaltz. Honestly, they'll go wild for it in Cornwall.

OK, I found a better truffle supplier, although theu're a bit pricey at £2.50 a kilo, but back to the topic to hand...

Yeah, that was it, POACHED PEARS in huge glass jars, mail order, shipped to my table in 24 hours at a bargain price, including delivery of ... let's say ... £15 a jar of four pears. I'll take two jars a month (or rather, my wife will take two jars a month) and we'll see wehat happens when my friends get tasters  :smile:

And finally, Basildog, you gotta do chopped liver. Jewish Roumanian style, with crispy fried onions and schmaltz. Honestly, they'll go wild for it in Cornwall.

will discuss your requirements over lunch on the 15th old chap :biggrin:

By the way, isn't it 'artisanal' in English English?  Not that we use the word much.

If it existed you are, of course, correct that it would be "artisanal", but no such word is found in the OED. Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate (American English) Dictionary does list it, but I have no access to the full version so I don’t know when the word was first coined. I find it somewhat awkward but it does serve a purpose.

It's in the shorter two-volume OED above my desk: 'of or pertaining to artisans, involving manual skill'.

Smug Public School Bastard

You need any tips on looking words up, you come to me :raz:

Beware the artisans! I spent much of the past summer in Devon and Aix-en-Provence. Both places have lots of excellent local produce but the difference in prices between England and France was staggering and I attribute some of this to the willingness of the gullible to buy anything described as 'artisanal' in Aix. Almost every shop there claims its stock was made by artisans, from tatty souvenirs to local specialities such as calissons d'Aix. I remain rather bitter about the calissons as I wanted to try them but I couldn't find a packet that wasn't artisanal and obscenely expensive, so I spited myself and passed up the opportunity.

Basildog, if you are ever in Devon try to visit Devon Country Cheeses in Topsham (they used to be in Exeter too) which is a great example of a Westcountry deli, totally committed to local produce and to introducing people to Devonian and Cornish cheeses at reasonable prices.

By the way, isn't it 'artisanal' in English English?  Not that we use the word much.

So "artisinal" is more anal in English english? Figures. Although in the UK, I haven't really come across either term, however, I have seen "Fancy" used quite a bit. Basildog should sell Fancies. Could call the shop "Basildog's Fancies Emporium and Cornish Teas - you've tried the Fish, so now try the Best " (the last bit is to get the tourists in).

Seriously, what local Cornish foods are there? What are those Saffron cakes? I seem to remember something about a Saffron growing village and Phonecians?

Yeah, that was it, POACHED PEARS

Macrosan - I had lunch at Bibendum on Tuesday and for dessert I had Mulled Red Wine Jelly, Poached Pears, Creme Chantilly and Butter Cake. It was fantastic. (I'll write up the full meal elsewhere later).

Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipie

as requested

12oz stoned dates

1 pt water

simmer for 5 mins

whilst thats going on....

Cream 4 oz Butter with 12oz castor sugar

Add 4 whole eggs

Add 12ox Self Raising Flour

take the dates off the heat, add 2 tspoons of Bi-Carb...then add the resulting foaming mess to the rest to the above mixture and mix .

this is best done in a food processor, but if your doing this by hand, chop the dates small before you simmer them.

Pour mix in to a 11 inch spring form which is lined with paper

cook for 40-50 mins 375

Butterscotch Sauce

Melt over a low heat...

8oz castor Sugar

8 oz Butter

12 oz Soft Dark Brown Sugar

10 ox Golden Syrup

Pinch of Salt

when all smooth and disolved, finish with 12 fl oz Double Cream

Pour some of this sauce over the Sticky Toffee Pudding when it comes out of the oven, so it soaks in and makes it a "Sticky"