• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potatoes with Poblanos (Papas con Rajas)

sladeums

Potatoes with Poblanos (Papas con Rajas)

Serves 4 as Side.

This is a nice side dish w/ any Mexican or Latin flavored meal. Cut the potatoes as you would like, Myself I prefer slices about 1/4-1/3" thick.

• 12 oz potato (preferably new reds), sliced
  • salt
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 poblanos (charred, peeled, seeds/veins removed), roughly chopped
  • 3 T oil
  • 4 oz cheese (preferably Oaxacan - any mild, melting cheese will do)

Cover potatoes with water, salt the water as you normally would when cooking potatoes (I use about a hefty teaspoon). Cook the potatoes over medium heat until almost done, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserve a cup of the cooking water.

Blend the reserved cup of cooking water, garlic and chiles until well blended - there should still be some texture, don't puree.

Heat oil in a large skillet until hot, dump the sauce in the hot oil and fry over med/high heat for 5-7 minutes.

Add the potatoes to the sauce and cook on low until the potatoes are well flavored with the sauce, 7-9 minutes.

Stir in the cheese and continue to heat through to melt the cheese.

Keywords: Side, Easy, Potatoes, Vegetables, Mexican

( RG379 )

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.