• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SF] Brenda's French Soul Food

Carolyn Tillie

We started with the sampler of beignets; three sweet (plain with powdered sugar, chocolate-filled, and apple filled) and one savory, filled with crawfish. Surprising to me, the crawfish was the clear winner and I could make a full meal on these!

Three of shared each other's entrées; a home-town fry with bacon and ham served with cheese grits and a biscuit. I ordered a special of the day; a frittata with crawfish, andouille sausage, and shrimp topped with cheddar cheese (also with grits and a biscuit). A third of us ordered the shrimp po-boy with slaw.

A very hot day, we were thrilled with the house-made watermelon ice tea with a hint of basil.

We were incredibly impressed with the food, despite the hour wait for a table. The biscuits (with house-made strawberry jam) were monstrously huge. All of the food was ample and after sharing the beignet sampler, I was the lucky duck to be able to take home most of my frittata, a whole biscuit, and almost 2/3rds of the grits -- all of which were greatly appreciated the next day.

Now I just have to figure out the best time to go when there isn't a line -- just to get the crawfish beignet!