• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Kidney Recipe

I'm not sure that my searching has been very effective but so far I haven't been able to turn up a chinese recipe with kidney as the primary ingredient. I have about 1/2 a kilo and chinese is my current culinary favouite :biggrin: so if you have a recipe, or the name of a dish, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure that my searching has been very effective but so far I haven't been able to turn up a chinese recipe with kidney as the primary ingredient. I have about 1/2 a kilo and chinese is my current culinary favouite  :biggrin: so if you have a recipe, or the name of a dish, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Craig,

I pulled a old book I have called "The Complete Chinese Cookbook - Over 500 Authentic Recipes from China" by Jacki Passmore and Daniel P. Reid. There are four kidney recipes in the book. When I get a chance I'll check some others.

Regards,

Hank

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

There is a beautiful rendition of a kidney chrysanthemum in one of the two following, probably in the first:

Great Garnishes (Wei-Chuan's cookbook) (Paperback)

by Su-Huei Huang (Author), Wei-Chuan Publishing

Chinese Snacks (Wei quan shi pu) (Paperback)

by Su-Huei Huang (Author), Wei-Chuan Publishing (Author)

Both are available used for about $6/each.

The first one is worth getting for many interesting things besides the kidney, which you need to see step-by-step to accomplish.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your replies, I did go looking for the cookbook by Fuchsia Dunlop. The bookshop I went to didn't have it and I ended up walking out with 'Pork and Sons' instead

And because I also had some black pudding I made the potato and black pudding gratin, it was delicious :)