• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tin Cans and Ring Molds

snowangel

I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the going rate for ring molds, if I can find them.

So, whatever happened to cans so you can use the can opener to open both sides of the can?

Now a days, it seems that every can, except those of canned food from Mexico or Italy has that "formed" bottom.

What gives? Strikes me that the can-makers are in cahoots with the ring mold folks.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've noticed that trend too, although I think its a good one. Makes the cans stack better in the pantry. The slope of the bottom fits nicely into the ring on the top of the "under" can.

So, to make up for disagreeing with you, I have a good alternative for ring molds for you....lengths of PVC plumbing pipe. It comes in different diameters, you can have it cut to whatever length (height) you want, its light, readily available, and best of all, CHEAP.

Saw that on some cooking show where some big fancy pants chef was using it. I thought it was a great idea.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I went looking for cans that would serve as ring molds and after noticing the new can bottoms then tried to search for ones that can be opened from either side. Tuna cans would be a good size but finding one that will work was impossible in the grocery store. In the same aisle I bought a can of water chestnuts just for the can. I have since found that the small cans of tomato sauce can be opened from both sides. They seem to be an appropriate size for many applications.

isn't there an issue with the PVC leaking some plastic something or other into the food when heated?

I don't know, but I resisted to buy ringmolds first too, looked for a long time for cans that can be opened on both sides, just to have them rust once I had them. They're long gone by now, I got some 'egg poaching rings' that are non stick for little money and later on I found some tiny spring forms (those used for cakes, but much smaller) that work very well AND can be used to make tiny cheese cakes or other such things - endless possible uses actually. I think I paid about $6 for each, something like that.

Now, they are not very tall, maybe an inch, so if you want to build tall towers of food they won't do, but I think that building tall towers thing is a fad that's a bit yesterday? Just my thought of course, no offense to the architects here :-)

But still, PVC with hot food? I don't know, especially if it's not made for food grade use. I'd probably rather go with steel piping or aluminum. Also can be found in all sizes and cut to length.

Of course, pvc might be totally fine for food, I'd just do some research if I'd want to go that way, no matter what TV chef used it.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I have no concerns using PVC. I'm not baking or doing any hot work in it. At most their is food that is warmer going in, but it is always lined with something - if I'm using it for mousse, then acetate strips/cake collar, or if its for a stacked salad, then saran.

I have no concerns using PVC.  I'm not baking or doing any hot work in it.  At most their is food that is warmer going in, but it is always lined with something - if I'm using it for mousse, then acetate strips/cake collar, or if its for a stacked salad, then saran.

What he said.

For ring molds, Fantes has not-horrible prices.

I have no concerns using PVC.  I'm not baking or doing any hot work in it.  At most their is food that is warmer going in, but it is always lined with something - if I'm using it for mousse, then acetate strips/cake collar, or if its for a stacked salad, then saran.

What he said.

For ring molds, Fantes has not-horrible prices.

Plus the exposure is SO minimal, what, 30 seconds or a minute at max, and you're not doing it everyday. Seems to me that there are a lot more pressing things to worry about.

I do agree about BPA in water bottles or food storage containers, but this seems to me to be apples and oranges...

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"