• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special dinner in Vancouver child friendly

annadev

I have just moved to Vancouver from Ottawa. Every late July, my family and I celebrate the birthdays of two of our members at a special dinner. In the past, we have always gone to Les Fougeres in Chelsea, which is lovely and where the staff is child-friendly. We want to do a celebration in Vancouver in late July. The children in question are 3 and 1, and while sophisticated, cannot sit still for long periods of time. Any suggestions?

I haven't been here myself, but Little Nest Cafe on Commercial Drive has been getting a bit of press for being a very kid-friendly restaurant.

www.littlenest.ca

You could also try various Chinese restaurants - they do quite well for larger family gatherings with kids, and tend to be more relaxed when kids get rambunctious.

• 2 weeks later...
We want to do a celebration in Vancouver in late July.  The children in question are 3 and 1, and while sophisticated, cannot sit still for long periods of time.  Any suggestions?

I am surprised at how child-friendly DB Bistro Moderne is. While dining there a month or so ago, I found a big party with several children, with high-chairs/boosters and all, taking their time with their dinner. The servers were tremendously courteous toward them and somehow the rest of us diners hardly even noticed there were children.

DB Bistro Moderne has a patio and is in a safe neighbhourhood, which could be assets for children who "cannot sit still".

Edited by nondual1 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry ... I have to ask, since I have 4 children ranging from 2 to 9, all boys.

How "sophisticated" can a 1 and 3 year old be?

"Cannot sit still for long periods of time" - that I can believe!

I also have to echo the sentiment that Chinese restaurants seem to have a certain amount of tolerance when kids get loud and active. Might be an option to check out.