• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your dream job?

sh_kayam

I have sometimes entertained the fantasy of having my own ice cream shop. Perhaps with also good baked goods, and coffee, but primarily ice cream. A classic ice cream palace with red leather booths and sundaes in tall glass dishes. Totally retro.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I don't work in the food service industry in any capacity (not since high school and one summer in college). The closest I get is being part of the staff at eGullet society. :)

However, I think if I were a working cook/chef, a gig at The White House would be pretty neat.

But since I am not a working cook/chef, I think something like the cruise ship job would be cool. Except for me, it would be in Las Vegas. :wub:

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Private chef of a tremendously wealthy yet humble family with a taste for seasonal and local fine dining. Living arrangements would be offered, but I'd rather live at home with my family. The owner would trust me with his unlimited credit card to go to JB Prince, and each week in the Union square farmers market to do the shopping. He would also be open to me cooking for my loved ones and hosting them in his place. Full medical, dental, retirement, life insurance, and transportation and cell phone provided. I dream big

OR

A job at the French Laundry in '96 before when TK was in the kitchen every day.

Edited by chef.vaizard (log)

Jonathan Mendez

I aspire to cook for the rest of my life

NYC

@jmende1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love a restaraunt in a house with an outdoor area and an open hearth. We would serve dinner 6 days, lunch on saturdays, and brunch on sundays. Seasonal daily menu at my whim. The cuisine would be a cross between Joe's diner and Jean Georges. And of course a small field attached to grow my own herbs and veggies

Edited by Jacquester (log)

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

I really don't think I would want anything crazy. Probably just a smaller 40-50 seat restaurant, kitchen like the one we have at work now - small but with skylights and windows, makes for a nice well lit kitchen, and really operate on both ends of the scale - everything made in-house, locally source from the farmers as much as I can, meats cured, all cheeses made there, but really avant-garde techniques, and a lot of the fun things i like to cook with (ie liquid nitrogen, hydrocolloids, etc). Just an all around fun place that people would be excited to eat at.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

I'd like to own an Inn by the sea, a few minutes outside Victoria, BC (Canada). Inn capacity would be capped off at 20 people, dining Room at 50, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. It would have a farm, vineyards and orchards where we would source as much as possible. Menu would be dictated by the weather and the seasons, and it would change whenever possible. We would raise Pigs, Cows, Chickens, Ducks (for foie gras), Lamb and Goats. We would specialize in Charcuterie, make our own fresh and aged cheeses and wines, preserves, pickles, breads, etc. Basically, artisanal heaven.

I would work at Alinea, and just cook. Devote my whole life to the restaurant. Im amazed at what they do there and i think it would challenge me far more than any restaurant in nyc next to per se or le bernardin. Id love to get into those places as well but theres something about Alinea's food that makes my jaw drop and i can just stare at pictures for hours imagining the techniques that were used to create the dishes. If money was not an issue i would move to Chicago and beat down the kitchen door everyday until i was given the job.

I'd own a smallish place not too far from the ocean, somewhere that's tropical but a little bit off the beaten path and popular with Discerning Folks Who Have Money -- Grand Cayman might do, or Maui or Kauai or Fiji. We'd serve very good sushi featuring local fish, with very good sauces brewed/made in-house or to our specifications -- all of which would be gluten-free. The bar would set high standards for creativity and innovation while respecting tradition -- the tiki classics would be available, for instance, made correctly.

I wouldn't be working in the kitchen or behind the bar. I'd be the owner/ringleader/impresario, spending my days keeping it going and chatting with our guests, and writing an interesting book every couple of years.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger