• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy sales for charity

Darienne

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I have been asked to make some goodies for a local charity to sell to raise money.

To date I have made hundreds of hard tack lollies but that's about it.

Suggestions are welcome.

Easy, popular, stands up the best to heat and humidity and no electricity.

Thanks. :smile:

Edit: sorry, wrote that in too much of a hurry. I meant that I had already made lollies to sell. I've made other confections, but not in great quantities or to sell.

Also does peanut brittle sell in the summer?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I have been asked to make some goodies for a local charity to sell to raise money. 

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.  :smile:

Edit:  sorry, wrote that in too much of a hurry.  I meant that I had already made lollies to sell.  I've made other confections, but not in great quantities or to sell. 

By far my most popular pieces are caramels. I generally enrobe them and decorate with sea salt (fleur de sel) though you will have to be careful in summer that the chocolate doesn't melt.

My 2nd most popular piece is a white chocolate raspberry truffle.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

The ambulance corps my son volunteered for had participated in a community festival where they could sell goodies as a fund-raiser. The biggest seller they had that night was the marshmallow cones I had made. They looked just like the ones that we older adults bought at the penny candy stores as children.

My local supplier sells these cones. I bought 120 of cones, made marshmallow and piped it into the cone and then on top, then dusted it with colored granulated sugar. When the marshmallow dried I packed them into lolly bags.

They sold out the first night. I had to send my son to the supplier and buy out her inventory (about 80 cones), and do them up very quickly for the next night. I also made gourmet brownies, 2x2 size, wrapped in waxed paper, just like Moms used to put in lunchboxes. Those sold out, too.

The marshmallow cones were sold for 75 cents each. The gourmet brownies went for 2.00 each. And since I donated everything, I got a nice tax deduction at the end of the year.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

You might also try "chocolate" dipped pretzel rods. You could use "compounded" chocolate that is more temp tolerant than couverture. After dipping in the chocolate, you could decorate with all sorts of nuts, candy "sprinkles", etc. which will appeal to many, especially kids.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

The chocolate might well melt. It could easily be 90 Fahrenheit with 90 degrees humidity. A killer.

The marshmallow cones sound like a possibility. Fun for the kids.

Pralines. I never know what kind of pralines anyone means. Please explain. Plus there are no low humidity days in Ontario in the summer. We could do them in a heavily A/C room if needed, but you can't get the humidity down very low when you are fighting that much heat and moisture.

Compounded chocolate??? Kids don't know the difference. I would hate to put our name on that, but it sure is one sensible idea....actually lots of adults don't either....

Barbara wants to do chocolate dipped strawberries. My problem is the 'last minute' part of that one.

What about sponge toffee?

Thanks to all so far...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sponge toffee would definitely work, brittles, marshmallows.  I'd avoid the chocolate enrobed in summer in Ontario.

Thanks from one Ontarian to another.

BTW, Barbara and I made sponge toffee last summer and laughed so hard as the toffee climbed out of the prepared pan and onto the counter. :laugh: Oh no! Attack of the toffee monster!!! :sad: Perhaps a larger pan would help????

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Marshmallows for sure. You could swirl colours in right at the end to give them a rainbow effect and cover the top in non-pareils before it sets. Just cut them up in squares and bag them. Very low cost, easy and delicious!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Marshmallows for sure. You could swirl colours in right at the end to give them a rainbow effect and cover the top in non-pareils before it sets. Just cut them up in squares and bag them. Very low cost, easy and delicious!

I like, no I love, making marshmallows. And kids will love the rainbow effect. Good one. Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I might suggest some baking favorites

- fudge (the staple of tourists everywhere)

- caramel corn

Probably would stay away from strawberries, which will deteriorate in heat.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

I might suggest some baking favorites

- fudge (the staple of tourists everywhere)

- caramel corn

Probably would stay away from strawberries, which will deteriorate in heat.

Thanks. Of course. Fudge! Where was I? And caramel corn. Methinks I slept. Thanks again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Peanut butter fudge is always a quick seller; or make two-level fudge with a choco layer & a peanut butter layer. Bourbon or rum balls rolled in cookie crumbs, or the cake ball that's sweeping the south(too sticky sweet for my taste, but they sell like hotcakes at lots of bakeries): basically crumbled cake & icing smushed together into balls.

Pralines.  I never know what kind of pralines anyone means.  Please explain.  Plus there are no low humidity days in Ontario in the summer.  We could do them in a heavily A/C room if needed, but you can't get the humidity down very low when you are fighting that much heat and moisture.

I meant South Louisiana's version of pralines made with pecans. I've tried several family members recipes with inconsistent results, but then I found this recipe on the web. I've made hundreds of them, and they get rave reviews everytime. They won 1st price for our company's Christmas cook-off. It's a simple recipe, but it works everytime.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pecan-Pralines-S...ern-Style-45753

Just to answer the question about Pralines, in Italy and I think Europe in general with the word praline we mean a type of chocolate. In Italy in particular a praline is a cut chocolate, the type you will cut with a gitar or knife and dip in chocolate, it is also referred to a chocolate made with crunchy additions etc. Truffles are those irregular shape rolled and dipped in chocolate.

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.  :smile:

Edit:  sorry, wrote that in too much of a hurry.  I meant that I had already made lollies to sell.  I've made other confections, but not in great quantities or to sell. 

This may be too late but I thought I'd add this one I found on the internet. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty easy.

http://www.allsands.com/food/recipes/choco...alls_rmw_gn.htm

Pat

This may be too late but I thought I'd add this one I found on the internet.  I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty easy. 

http://www.allsands.com/food/recipes/choco...alls_rmw_gn.htm

It's never too late. :smile:

I don't think we can use anything with chocolate in it at all at the outdoors event, but there are other venues.

Our local library is having a book sale at the end of the month and I said I would make something for it. These might be just the thing. The youngsters would love them. I think I'll try them with bittersweet also...might cut down on the sweetness a bit.

Thanks for thinking of us. :wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.