• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes to use up Fresh Masa

I just picked up a five pound bag of fresh masa (no, I don't know if it's truly fresh, or reconstituted masa harina, but that's a discussion for another topic). Now, last time I made tamales with this stuff I ended up using something like one pound total, and that made as many tamales as I could make by myself at one time. Until I can find a volunteer labor force to assemble a larger quantity of tamales, I am looking for things to do with the rest of the masa. It's labeled "Masa para tamales," but it's not "preparada": it's only got corn, water and cal on its ingredients list. Can I use it for tortillas? What else?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Have you ever made a tamal de cazuela? It's kind of like a tamale pie or casserole, only better, and would use a reasonable amount of masa, though not 5# :shock:

There is also a variety to tamal where you pat the masa out on a tea towel, spread it with seasoned black bean puree, roll up jelly roll fashion, then slice and wrap in corn husks.

Remember, tamales freeze beautifully and people love to receive them as gifts because it's labor intensive and it's not something they'll usually make for themselves.

But you'd better work fast, masa tends to sour quickly.

• 1 month later...

The other night I made a full-blown Mexican meal, really my first attempt at this complex cuisine.

From everything I read, and I had pulled out at least 7 or 8 cookbooks, the fresh stuff isn't great after a day or two, but freezes quite well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I just picked up a five pound bag of fresh masa (no, I don't know if it's truly fresh, or reconstituted masa harina, but that's a discussion for another topic). Now, last time I made tamales with this stuff I ended up using something like one pound total, and that made as many tamales as I could make by myself at one time. Until I can find a volunteer labor force to assemble a larger quantity of tamales, I am looking for things to do with the rest of the masa. It's labeled "Masa para tamales," but it's not "preparada": it's only got corn, water and cal on its ingredients list. Can I use it for tortillas? What else?

It's easy to round up a "volunteer labor force to assemble a larger quantity of tamales."

Just invite everyone to a party - a "tamalada." Tell them you're serving beer and margaritas. And they'll get to take home several dozen tamales.

That approach has been working for centuries!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.