• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New restaurant menu help

howsmatt

The menu is coming together but I could still use some help.

1. I will be doing an open face steak sandwich. It will have a nice 7 oz. piece of steak. I considered the usual cheddar cheese and chipotle mayo type stuff. I'm trying to think of something a bit more memorable and interesting (yet still flavour and cost as very important)

2. If I can find a purveyor of tuna tails I might do a tataki sandwich. Any thoughts on a good filler (and other condiments-veg etc.) that will still allow the tuna flavour to come through.

3. I would like a trio of bugers out of the following: black bean, turkey, chicken, beef, crab/shrimp, lamb. Which would you choose?

The menu is coming together but I could still use some help. 

1. I will be doing an open face steak sandwich.  It will have a nice 7 oz. piece of steak.  I considered the usual cheddar cheese and chipotle mayo type stuff.  I'm trying to think of something a bit more memorable and interesting (yet still flavour and cost as very important)

2.  If I can find a purveyor of tuna tails I might do a tataki sandwich.  Any thoughts on a good filler (and other condiments-veg etc.) that will still allow the tuna flavour to come through.

3.  I would like a trio of bugers out of the following: black bean, turkey, chicken, beef, crab/shrimp, lamb.  Which would you choose?

I'll answer the easiest one first:

3. Turkey, beef, crab/shrimp, with lamb coming up a *very* close fourth place, and could even supplant turkey, if it was done right. Key words there being "if it was done right".

2. No real idea, since I'm an odd duck about tuna: I like the canned variety, and I like it in sushi, but tuna filets and such? Not my bag: too acidic. I'd actually prefer the acidic taste be masked a bit.

1. Gussy up that 7 oz. steak sandwich with a marsala wine reduction! Since it's an open-faced dealie, why not go that extra mile? It can also tack on an extra buck or two to what you might initially think to charge for it, and since it's kind of easy, why not?

Don't know if that helps you out or not.