• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

This looks good.  More descriptions, please!  Is that a stew in a small cylinder? What's on the banana leaves?

I'm afraid that for me, 'amok' refers to a frequent state of affairs in my kitchen. In this case does 'fish amok' refer to the seasonings, the means of cooking, both, or something else altogether?

• Like 2

The name "fish amok" brought a smile to my face. I believe the other night I served chicken amok, but it turned out well anyways after a comedy of errors. :)

Seriously, this is what wiki has to say about fish amok, and from some of the images on Google, my guess is that the white cylindrical container in @StephanieGodfrey's photo might be a carved coconut? If so, very cool way to present a dish.