• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Paris Bistros/Brasseries

JMillar

Apologies if a repeat thread-

I'd be interested in hearing about any interesting new openings quality of food is more of a consideration than decor.

Failing that I'd like any good tips ofr more of the same in Montparnasse / St Germain I have read good things about Le Timbre.

I have read good things about Le Timbre.

Your final comment concerns me. Can you tell us more about the kind of resto you are looking for?

Why the concern? This is the place I was referring to

http://www.restaurantletimbre.com/le%20timbre%20.html

Looking for just a good bistro/ brasseries and am particularly interested in hearing about any interesting new openings.

I have read good things about Le Timbre.

Your final comment concerns me. Can you tell us more about the kind of resto you are looking for?

Why the concern? This is the place I was referring to

Looking for just a good bistro/ brasseries and am particularly interested in hearing about any interesting new openings.

I cannot speak for Margaret but Le Timbre has been open for a decade or longer. If you're looking for brand new places, say places that have opened in the past year, take a look at Pierre45 or my posts. If you're looking for those that have been open longer, say 6-18 months, both Lebey + Pudlo mark new ones with an N. For this week's openings, the Digest has the five new ones that open each week, reviewed by Figaroscope + A Nous Paris in particular. And for those about to open, Alain Fusion's website Les Restos.com often is ahead of the curve.

It's a bit more work but just scrolling down the first few pages of the France Forum, you'll come across discussions of many new places; "Truly Creative," "Emerging Stars" & "Cheap Eats" are about as current as one can get, with the Table d'Eugene, Jadis, Fermin, Dos de la Baleine, Cantine du Troquet + Au Gout Dujour etc. Happy Hunting!

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Why the concern?  This is the place I was referring to

Looking for just a good bistro/ brasseries.....

My concern is that Le Timbre is probably the least typically French bistrot we have visited: British chef, English speaking guests. You could be in London or Leeds or San Francisco. I should add that the crowd (it only seats around 20) was very much enjoying the ambiance and comraderie made possible by common language so I suppose it was we who were out of step.

eGullet member #80.