• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Times Square BBQ/ethnic

roger desmond

I think Virgil’s dry rub (and dry ribs) are nasty. Had a couple surprisingly good experiences at Spanky’s (43rd 6th/7th) though. Tender and nicely smoked buffalo short ribs and brisket. Who knew? I mean if you’re stuck around there I’d give it shot. Though any bbq lover on here will tell you to throw your slow friend in a cab (or the cross town M42 bus) or drag them to Daisy May’s for the real deal (46th and 11th). Whatever you do, don’t come back here saying you ended up at Dallas BBQ. Unforgivable! :raz:

That wasn't chicken

Virgil's is acceptable barbecue for the Times Square area

If you want BBQ in the Times Square area, Virgil's is the only credible option.

Does credible = acceptable, in the Times Square area? I like the shrimp and a couple of other things...decent beers.

I tried calling Spanky's to no avail - I'm with Sneak on spanky's being doneski.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm not positive Spanky's is still open.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I should be flogged for trusting menupgs. Weren’t they on top of closings? (Who could blame them with the economy?). Anyway, yea, Spanks is finito. But still, don’t go to Virgils. You’ll be spitting out that dry rub (while thinking about this post) and wishing you made baby steps to Daisy’s or Hill Country. It's is an easy bus ride down Brdwy or 7th Ave. Hire a bicycle cab! Rent a Segway! Don’t settle for crap q!

That wasn't chicken

EMW speaks the truth. If you can WALK into Virgil's, you can certainly pile in a cab or M42 to Daisy Mae's. The 3 block detour is more than worth it. There are a couple of soul/cajun places on 9th avenue, but nothing to write home about

Also, my favorite korean BBQ in Manhattan is at koreatown's northern extremity and therefore actually in the "Times Square" vicinity - http://www.madangsui.com/

EMW, THAT AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Isn't she precious? And tasty too. (We braised her overnight) Yeah, was time to change pics. I mean how many times can you look at Bush raising a freshly caught bass whilst Katrina victims wade through debris behind him?

That wasn't chicken