• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twix candy bars

Lior

I see there have already been a lot of good responses, but I just ate a mini Twix bar (MMMMMM!) and was thinking about the biscuit - to me it's very similar tasting to a plain biscuit we can buy in Australia called "Scotch Finger". It's like a shortbread, I guess, but the texture is very similar to a twix and the flavour is good. I just did a google search and couldn't find any recipes to make scotch fingers (i guess because they're quite a plain biscuit) so dunno if this is really helpful at all, but maybe it's an idea for someone :)

I'm not familiar with what the cookie is like, but I saw this link.

http://cookbookmaniac.com/recipes/homemade-scotch-finger-biscuits.html

Maybe you could check it out and see if it's similar. They say not :)

I actually made homemade twix bars this week. It was this thread that got me wanting some. I just used storebought lorna doone shortbread cookies, since my homemade ones always come out too crumbly especially when trying to dip them in the melted chocolate.

What is the best caramel recipe to use for this? Is the one from "Yard" good? I am just starting to research recipes and hoping to do some trials this weekend.

I am using the caramel I use for everything, dipped caramels and my versions of snickers and milky ways. I think any caramel that will stay put when cut is fine. I haven't looked at the Sherry Yard recipe.

A co-worker asked me to make my version of the piece using a Linzer cookie instead of a shortbread. The cookie was still a bit crumbly, but, the flavor was very good. However, if anyone decides to try this, be forewarned that the cookie somewhat overpowers the other flavors (Caramel and Chocolate). It's still very good; just....different