• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Delivery

brescd01

I think there has never been a thread devoted to the general topic of delivery. So I am starting one. No limits (Chinese, non-Chinese, sandwiches, etc). We can skip Tiffin and Szechuan Tasty House. I ordered from Vic Sushi last night and it was good quality but expensive ($100 for two with tip and we were still a little hungry, not a terrible thing). By the way, before you yell at me, I will try to get the missus out this evening for VD.

DiningIn.Com works in a pinch. There are a bunch of restaurants - delivery costs $5 to $7 plus a tip for the driver. I think they also charge the restaurants a percentage of the check so a lot of restaurants seem to add that on to the menu prices they show for DiningIn.Com.

My last order was from Tinto. Amada and Distrito are also on DiningIn.Com as well as some of Starr's lower priced places. I use them a lot for South Street Souvlaki and Charles Plaza. Lots of ethnic cuisines. Best value (food-by-the-pound-wise) by far is Buca di Beppo - A steam table half pan of spaghetti with meat sauce for something like $17.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

I have no clue how large their delivery area is, but I've recently discovered the glories of Taqueria Los Jalapenos. Their food is fresh, hot and ridiculously FAST, not to mention reasonably priced. vWhen I ordered on Monday, the food was at my door in 20 minutes! I've gotten the ground beef burrito both times (strange for someone who doesn't eat ground beef but it was SO GOOD) but the fiance has tried some of the myriad combo platters and gave two thumbs up!

Check them out at www.threejalapenos.com

Extra points for an adorable website name!

The cats over at Phoodie.info are big fans of delivery from Asia@Cafe.  I've been there once (for lunch); maybe it's time to give them another try.

I often pick up one of the cheap and tasty lunch specials ($5.50 IIRC) from Asia@Cafe since it's on my way to work. Lots of choices and they serve it until 3:30 or 4PM. I'll call ahead (I keep one of their menus in the glove box of the car) while running pre-work errands, swing by and pick up right before I have to be in. Everything I've tried has been pretty good. Once they accidentally gave my order to someone else, but whipped up a fresh one in just minutes while I waited.

And because I'm so easily swayed and suggestable, as soon as I remembered that I had their menu in my collection of take out menus at work, today's order was for Tacos al Pastor and chips with salsa and guacamole from Los Jalapenos. They were indeed reasonably quick (25-30 minutes) and the tacos and chips and sides were good. I still think the Tacos al Pastor from Taquitos de Puebla are better, but these were pretty good. Lots of filling and some carmelized onions on top too. The chips were very large, definitely in-house made tortilla chips with generous containers of both guacamole and salsa on the side. The salsa was a bit spicy, which I loved. The guac was a tad bland, but another big squeeze of lime, some salt and a couple of dashes of Tabasco fixed it right up. I had enough for a big lunch and still had one taco and half my order of chips to bring home as a snack I polished off when I got in tonight. All told it was $13 and change. Pretty good for having gotten two meals, or at least a meal and a big snack out of it. There are some really good looking combos on the menu that I'll likely explore next time I order from Los Jalapenos.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol