• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freshly Ground Peanut Butter Safety

rubyred

At work today, I noticed that one of my colleagues had a jar of peanut butter in the fridge. When I was a kid, we always kept the (store-bought) PB in the pantry, but it got me to thinking about the freshly ground PB from the bulk store that I've become hopelessly addicted to. Toasted baguette PB + tart cherry jam = Hell yeah, man!

I figured the childhood store-bought stuff was all good in the pantry, what with all the preservatives, but what of my 100% peanut stuff? Google to the rescue, right? Well, not so much...

The first result DID tell me that my PB should be stored in the fridge. Victory is mine! Oh, wait: It was also riddled with info about cancer, mold, toxins and, (what?!) a link for me to buy their nut butters... What about the cancer, mold and toxins??? No further mention. Curious.

The third result is entitled "The Perils of Peanut Butter". I'm not going to elaborate.

So what's the deal with peanut butter? Is this of the 'don't-vaccinate-your-child' kind of internet info? (Sorry if we don't agree on the whole vaccination issue; I'm just trying to make a point here.) Do I worry about this?

I'm curious what you lot have to say about this issue I wasn't even aware existed. For the record, I'll bet the stuff is deadly, if only because I finally found a breakfast that even a lazy girl like me can prepare before work...

Everything is deadly. Food is deadly, water is deadly, the air is deadly, sunny days are deadly. We have to eat, drink and breath and most of us can't entirely avoid the sun so we might as well enjoy it all while it lasts. Sometimes I think technology has allowed us to know too much for our own good. If I find out when I'm 70 that I'm dying from accumulative peanut mold syndrome and could quite possibly have lived to be 72 if I'd avoided it... we'll, I've had a few really tasty PB&J's along the way. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've given some thought to whether or not the new wave of peanut allergies is actually a peanut allergy, or some kind of fertilizer/processing/stabilizer chemical reaction.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”