• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Double Boiler options?

Octaveman

Too bad you live far away, I'd offer you mine: I never use the damned thing.

Since the steam does the job of spreading the heat evenly, the only real design criteria is the shape of the top portion: does your whisk fit in there nicely, with no nooks and crannies you can't get into? If so, buying the cheapest one you can find that fits that will do you just fine, I think. Mine has an aluminum disk in the bottom of the lower part, but as far as I'm concerned that is over-engineering it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hmmm, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, it's sort of hard to see for sure the construction with an online purchase. So the inserts are not all made the same then? How do you keep from burning your hands with steam coming out between the two sections as you stir? I can certainly get a SS bowl too...that would be easy.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Hmmm, that's what I thought.  Unfortunately, it's sort of hard to see for sure the construction with an online purchase.  So the inserts are not all made the same then?  How do you keep from burning your hands with steam coming out between the two sections as you stir?  I can certainly get a SS bowl too...that would be easy.

If there is steam coming out at a velocity and quantity high enough to burn you, you have the heat up too high. In general the water should only be simmering (though I'm sure there are exceptions...).

If you don't have your heart set on a double boiler, my personal recommendation is a stainless steel bowl that is completely rounded on the bottom (no flat part)—this removes any areas where stuff might build up that the whisk is unable to reach, and allows it to fit over any size pot. That's what I do now (even though I own a DB, which turned out to be a waste of money and space).

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

...my personal recommendation is a stainless steel bowl that is completely rounded on the bottom (no flat part)—this removes any areas where stuff might build up that the whisk is unable to reach, and allows it to fit over any size pot. That's what I do now (even though I own a DB, which turned out to be a waste of money and space).

Yup!

two great things about doing it this way:

-it works better than any specialized double boiler

-you already have what you need.

I had a specialized double boiler insert for a saucepan. Turned out to be inferior to a bowl in every way. So I drilled it full of holes. now it's a steamer.

Notes from the underbelly