• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The term dates to the 19th century

Indeed.

2.2 Grilled with hot condiments.

1800 Oracle in Spir. Publ. Jrnls. (1801) IV. 253 At half past two [I] ate a devil'd kidney.    1845 Disraeli Sybil iv. x, His table cleared, a devilled biscuit placed before him, a cool bottle and a fresh glass.    1855 Mrs. Gaskell North & S. xlii, The devilled chicken tasted like saw-dust.    1881 J. Grant Cameronians I. xviii. 276 An aroma of coffee and devilled bones.

Although, there are earlier 18th century references to devilments which was the noun for deviled foods. The verb came later.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Indeed.

1800 Oracle in Spir. Publ. Jrnls. (1801) IV. 253 At half past two [I] ate a devil'd kidney.    1845 Disraeli Sybil iv. x, His table cleared, a devilled biscuit placed before him, a cool bottle and a fresh glass.    1855 Mrs. Gaskell North & S. xlii, The devilled chicken tasted like saw-dust.    1881 J. Grant Cameronians I. xviii. 276 An aroma of coffee and devilled bones.

Although there are earlier 18th century references to devilments which was the noun for deviled foods. The verb came later.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Indeed.

Although there are earlier 18th century references to devilments which was the noun for deliveled foods. The verb came later.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Indeed.