• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Beef Ad Campaign

FoodMan

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of those stupid Beef marketing adds that pop up in every magazine. You know the ones that tout the "Land of Protein" or something unappetizing along those lines. Pictures like this one make me cringe. Whoever thought huge hunks of presumably beef, shaped to look like hills, valleys with rivers of sauce is a good idea. IMHO, it is plain disgusting, unappitizing and makes something that came out of a living creature look like it is made from unidentifiable organic/flesh builidng material. Everytime I see one, I want to run and eat a Cliff bar. I am ranting, but seriously, what's everyone's take on this? Makes you want to grill a steak? Or eat more fish? Is it another symptom (like the Tyson commercial asking "Have you had your protein today?" instead of your chicken or beef or pork) to encourage consumers to think less and less of where their meat is coming from? After all it's just "protein" :angry: .

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Brings out the carnivore in me! Everything that makes beef so good! Rare steaks on the canyon walls but then there's that hint of a slow-braised stew in the river. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't say that I am turned off by it, but neither am I turned on. I actually like that form of creative expression whether it is beef, vegetables or whatever, even if it does not particularly effect my appetite.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz