• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Onions, Tomatoes or Vinegar

aliénor

my husband has been having bladder problems and he has been told to stay away from, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, vinegar, onions and several other ingredients. this regime is supposed to be remove bladder muscle irritants. but it is hard to think of much food- except meat and potatoes and that is too boring-without those ingredients- it means no ratatouile, no marinara sauce, etc., fortunately garlic is ok. but i always make stir fries with lots of onions ...so i am in need of ideas, recipes and help in general.

hoping i can get some good ideas from the group

tia

How unfortunate. I'd die in a world without onions.

Garlic's okay though? I wonder what onions have that garlic lacks in terms of bladder irritants.

A family member had something that sounds similar but she went back to normal after giving up her "big three vices": booze, smokes and coffee.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

There are many pasta dishes that can be made without the ingredients you've mentioned. One that I made recently is Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe, spaghetti with cheese and pepper. Add a green salad with an appropriate dressing and you've got a nice, tasty, classic Italian meal.

shel

... Shel

Someone mentioned foods of Southeast Asia, especially Indian would work. You mentioned no vinegar, but is lemon juice or tamarind ok as souring agents? Also, many Northern Indian dishes do not use garlic or onions because they are prohibited. They use a resin called Hing, or Asefoetida as an ingredient to evoke those flavors. The Indian subforum could give you a lot more detailed information and point you towards recipes.

thanks for all the suggestions. they have helped me to rethink my menus. he was only told to stay away from onions-not garlic, scallions or shallots:it is a bit strange. so the idea of this diet is to get him away from acidic foods and the other irritants such as coffee, tea, alcohol, soda, most fruit juices, chocolate-all the good things one egulleter helped me out with a personal message referring me to a special website dealing with a variation of his problem, and at this site i found lots of info. ' thanks for all the help

so i'll be working on this for a while.