• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite uses of butterscotch chips?

Sony

Hello everyone!

I just came across 2 bags of butterscotch chips that are best used by the end of this month. What are you favorite recipes that utilize them?

If you could also give me a heads-up about how sweet the finished product is, that would be great! The crowd I run with and myself all have fairly sensitive sweet teeth that are easily overwhelmed. I usually tend to reduce sugar in sweets automatically unless I know the actual recipe is not-so-sweet or that the full amount is essential for the proper result.

Thanks!

Peanutbutterscotch Squares

Not very gourmet or complicated but they have been my favorite squares since I was a kid.

one cup PB

one bag butterscotch chips

one bag coloured mini marshmallows

shredded coconut - optional

melt PB and chips together ( double boiler or microwave works well )

add marschmallows and coconut if desired

press into a pan and chill.

Enjoy

They are pretty sweet but there is no extra sugar added ( beyond the butterscotch chips, marshmallows and peanut butter ;) ).

Hello everyone!

I just came across 2 bags of butterscotch chips that are best used by the end of this month. What are you favorite recipes that utilize them?

If you could also give me a heads-up about how sweet the finished product is, that would be great! The crowd I run with and myself all have fairly sensitive sweet teeth that are easily overwhelmed. I usually tend to reduce sugar in sweets automatically unless I know the actual recipe is not-so-sweet or that the full amount is essential for the proper result.

Thanks!

Oatmeal cookies. Or to dip apples in as a spin on candy apples. I have been meaning to try dipping candied ginger in melted butterscotch chips too, I imagine that would be very tasty.

They are also nice as an alternative to marshmallows to make rice crispie type unbaked cereal bars.

I'd suggest that in order to gage the amount of sweetness, you pop a few into your mouth.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My great aunt used to make Spoonoodles with them. They are a no-bake "cookie." Very sweet but everyone loves them.

BUTTERSCOTCH SPOONOODLES

1 (3 oz.) can chow mein noodles

1 c. honey

2 tbsp. butter

1/8 tsp. salt

1 c. coarsely chopped nuts (usually walnuts or pecans)

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 (6 oz.) pkg. butterscotch morsels

Combine noodles and nuts in mixing bowl; set aside. Combine honey, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt in saucepan and bring to a full boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add butterscotch morsels and stir until melted and smooth.

Pour over noodles and nuts. Mix gently until coated; drop by heaping teaspoon onto wax paper or baking sheet and let set until firm. Wrap each separately in cellophane when set.

Enjoy!