• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

I won't be able to get to NYC for a year or two or more. So I'll have to make do with the scraps from reports. (Thus doggy face.) So copious and extended reports from all please please please.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Oh well, just wait till the next one...

Do you not eat when planning conferences? A dinner break is always good. Will bring you back at your desk all restored.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

7:30 works well for us. 8pm is a little late for a weekday dinner, IMHO.

And if I may be so bold, $45 is a lot for an Indian meal, unless you're planning some shmancy thing. I can't remember the last time I spent that much money on an Indian meal, even a very good one.

But I'll defer to your judgement Suvir, and assume something very special is going on.

7:30 works well for us.  8pm is a little late for a weekday dinner, IMHO.

And if I may be so bold, $45 is a lot for an Indian meal, unless you're planning some shmancy thing.  I can't remember the last time I spent that much money on an Indian meal, even a very good one.

But I'll defer to your judgement Suvir, and assume something very special is going on.

Nina it will be a nice restaurant.... and the meal will not be what you would usually eat.

$45.00 gets us our own space in a corner of the restaurant. And the chef doing nothing but our food when we are there. It also includes tip and the lassi for everyone and sodas. Is that really too much? I could do $40 but feel we would be more fair with $45. What is the majority opinion here?

7:30 PM it is. I understand it is a weeknight... Sorry that I did not think of it myself.

And be hungry all of you.. there will be lots of food.

Sounds wonderful. Do you  have room for two more?  I don't take up too much room. Can you give us an idea if it will be uptown, downtown or midtown?

It will be a pleasure to have you with us. I am glad you are able to fit it in your schedule. :smile:

Think Midtown...

7:30 works well for us.  8pm is a little late for a weekday dinner, IMHO.

And if I may be so bold, $45 is a lot for an Indian meal, unless you're planning some shmancy thing.  I can't remember the last time I spent that much money on an Indian meal, even a very good one.

Nina it will be a nice restaurant.... and the meal will not be what you would usually eat.

$45.00 gets us our own space in a corner of the restaurant. And the chef doing nothing but our food when we are there. It also includes tip and the lassi for everyone and sodas. Is that really too much? I could do $40 but feel we would be more fair with $45. What is the majority opinion here?

7:30 PM it is. I understand it is a weeknight... Sorry that I did not think of it myself.

And be hungry all of you.. there will be lots of food.

I am happy to acquiesce to your judgement in this case, Suvir. Sounds like a special evening in store for us. Thank you.

Oh my. This one NYC eGullet sanctioned dinner I would definitely like to go but can't. This is my sad face:

you're not invited anyway.

being a NJ person, 7.30 is better for me.

Tommy please carry your ID with you.

I believe you may be the youngest in the crowd.. and if you are half as lively as your posts... you may have the attention of the restaurant staff. Your boyish charm could work against you sometimes.... I would hate to have you get carded and for you to not have your ID. :wink: I want to see you in your full form.

Just to clarify - we'll do BYOB, yes? I assume some will bring wine, some will bring beer...I bet we'll have way too much booze...maybe somebody (like me, perhaps) might bring some after dinner drink? What does everybody think about doing a little BYOB coordination, or is it too much effort? If people think it's worth it, I'm happy to be booze coordinator.

Just to clarify - we'll do BYOB, yes?  I assume some will bring wine, some will bring beer...I bet we'll have way too much booze...maybe somebody (like me, perhaps) might bring some after dinner drink?  What does everybody think about doing a little BYOB coordination, or is it too much effort?  If people think it's worth it, I'm happy to be booze coordinator.

If we need a booze coordinator, I too would be happy to relegate it to whoever would enjoy it.

I would think it means everyone can bring what they want.. and if they are happy to share... that would make the evening so much more special... but again, that is the persons own choice.

How does that sound?

Nina you are kind to volunteer...thanks.

Just to clarify - we'll do BYOB, yes?  I assume some will bring wine, some will bring beer...I bet we'll have way too much booze...maybe somebody (like me, perhaps) might bring some after dinner drink?  What does everybody think about doing a little BYOB coordination, or is it too much effort?  If people think it's worth it, I'm happy to be booze coordinator.

If we need a booze coordinator, I too would be happy to relegate it to whoever would enjoy it.

I would think it means everyone can bring what they want.. and if they are happy to share... that would make the evening so much more special... but again, that is the persons own choice.

How does that sound?

Nina you are kind to volunteer...thanks.

My only concern was that we'll have WAY too much booze if everybody brings a bottle or a few beers....

My only concern was that we'll have WAY too much booze if everybody brings a bottle or a few beers....

This is a problem? :raz:

People coming with someone can bring a single bottle of wine for the pair. That shouldn't be hard to coordinate. Thanks for doing this, Nina.

And Suvir, of course (of course).

i've never seen that happen. quite the opposite in fact. there is always a contigent that doesn't bring anything yet ends up drinking anyway. well, perhaps this group is different.

suvir, i'll be sure to arrive already half in the bag.

i've never seen that happen. quite the opposite in fact. there is always a contigent that doesn't bring anything yet ends up drinking anyway. well, perhaps this group is different.

suvir, i'll be sure to arrive already half in the bag.

clearly, we hang out with different crowds. clearly.

I won't be able to get to NYC for a year or two or more. So I'll have to make do with the scraps from reports. (Thus doggy face.) So copious and extended reports from all please please please.

If Jin comes to NYC, we're gonna' need the Grand Ballroom at the Hilton!

Nick :smile:

Current list as I've been keeping it:

Suvir; rstarobi; BklynEats; Charles Smith; Macrosan; Yvonne Johnson + g. johnson; Suzanne F +PDE; FG; Sandra Levine; CathyL; Double 0 and Mrs. 00; Tommy; Toby; Blondie; KimWB; StephanyB; Helena Sarin; ajay; Damian + Ann; Nina Wugmeister + her beau; MHesse; CooksQuest (Gary) + Diana; Cakewalk; Laura; Jason Perlow; Rosie + consort

(33) as of 10/19, 5:00pm

If you should be on here and I missed you, please respond to this thread. Anyone over the next 2 who want in will be placed (very gently) on the wait list.

Oh my. This one NYC eGullet sanctioned dinner I would definitely like to go but can't. This is my sad face:

you're not invited anyway.

being a NJ person, 7.30 is better for me.

Tommy please carry your ID with you.

I believe you may be the youngest in the crowd.. and if you are half as lively as your posts... you may have the attention of the restaurant staff. Your boyish charm could work against you sometimes.... I would hate to have you get carded and for you to not have your ID. :wink: I want to see you in your full form.

Oh dear. Suvir--I am the youngest. Be sure to card me.

7:30; $45 or more if needed. Whatever it takes for a great meal!

From past experience I would suggest one bottle per person. Also, Tommy doesn't share his wine. You have to steal it from him when he's not looking. I'll bring white, perhaps reisling. My consort and I share. :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE