• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NY Indian restaurant outing--open to all

yvonne johnson

Don't worry.  Somehow I have a feeling you'll manage to get plenty to drink.   :blink:

i'm wondering if there's an overall approach.

What's your concern? If you're concerned that I'm not up to the task of organizing this aspect of the evening, perhaps you'd like to do it?

i can assure you that your organizational skills are not in question. :wacko:

Hip flask, Tommy. Just to be safe.

Nina,

I think you can get Kingfisher (or Taj Mahal) at most of the beer specialty stores in Manhattan - I wasn't planning on bringing Indian beer, as most are generic lagers - not too different from American lager.  I'm probably going to bring a couple of German or Belgian beers.

B & E Quality Beverage at 511 West 23nd street  has a good selection of beers at reasonable price.  They'd likely have Kingfisher and Taj Mahal.

NYC Beer.org has an incomplete listing of many NY beer specialty stores.

Thanks for the tips. Again, what kind of beer I bring really depends if I can get back home before dinner. Would a hefeweizen or a weisse bier be good with Indian?

Thanks for the tips.  Again, what kind of beer I bring really depends if I can get back home before dinner.  Would a hefeweizen or a weisse bier be good with Indian?

They are just not my favorite type of beer.. but if you like them.. bring them along... I am sure others will share what they have... and so we can have a taste comparison. :wink:

Can we add Matt Zito to the list of confirmed guests and have me not be a part of the list Suzanne?

I will stand and cook and chat as I enjoy with you all.  I am sure I will find some place to sit easily...

And we will then have another vegetarian.. how fun.  (Makes it cakewalk, Matt Zito and myself).

Oh, that's very charitable of you - thanks so much! Scholar and a gentleman....

Matt

I really prefer red wine and will problably bring  shiraz.

you said you were bringing riesling! :raz:

I was going to bring reisling until I read that shiraz goes with Indian food! Since I share and you don't would you like me to bring reisling also? :laugh:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

what makes you think that the eventual location will be publicly announced so that you can show up to picket?  :hmmm:

Location??? Do online things need a physical location? :wink:

I thought this was all done to add more posts to each of our handles....hmmmm

Did I understand differently? :rolleyes:

Helena, thanks for that link. According to the info, it seems that what you drink should depend on how hot the food is. Since we're having a range of spice levels (is that right?) it looks like we're pretty wide open re: what to bring for drinks. Recommendations went from ale and lager to various different whites to "really big macho reds" (I don't dare ask). Nina, if you're keeping track of who is bringing what, at some point please let us know if anything is "missing." And I'll bring some of that. And if nothing is missing, then I'll bring something else. :smile:

Thanks to all of you who are working on the organization of this dinner. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I really prefer red wine and will problably bring  shiraz.

you said you were bringing riesling! :raz:

don't worry i'll bring riesling.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I think this is a request to be wait-listed but this thread is so long, please say again what you guys settled on about where and when. Thanks.

nell  

Nell, I think we've settled on November 20th at 7:30 PM as a when. The where is a well-kept secret known only to Suvir at this point.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Is there anyone coming who will not drink alcohol at all?

Probably just me Nina. Why do you ask? :wink:

Because as OFFICIAL BOOZE COORDINATOR for this event (heheheh), I thought I'd try to make sure we have enough booze, and not way too much, either.

Make sense?

Is there anyone coming who will not drink alcohol at all?

Probably just me Nina. Why do you ask? :wink:

Because as OFFICIAL BOOZE COORDINATOR for this event (heheheh), I thought I'd try to make sure we have enough booze, and not way too much, either.

Make sense?

Surely, surely... :smile:

[Nell, I think we've settled on November 20th at 7:30 PM as a when.  The where is a well-kept secret known only to Suvir at this point.

The even better thiung about the "secret known only to Suvir at this point" is that Suvir may not even have told himself yet :shock:

It's good to see that Site Security is holding up well so far :laugh:

Suvir, after much gastronomic reflection, I think I'd like to join the ranks of the vegetarians for this event :raz: I remember a few meals I had in a Gujarati vegetarian restaurant in my area, and they were delightful. On one occasion I tried their house specialty, which was pretty much one of everything on the menu, each dish served in a chrome plated bowl, all on a huge silver platter. And as soon as I finished one bowl, a new one appeared to take its place. Wonderful experience.

I'm looking forward to this very much.

Suvir, after much gastronomic reflection, I think I'd like to join the ranks of the vegetarians for this event  :raz:  I remember a few meals I had in a Gujarati vegetarian restaurant in my area, and they were delightful. On one occasion I tried their house specialty, which was pretty much one of everything on the menu, each dish served in a chrome plated bowl, all on a huge silver platter. And as soon as I finished one bowl, a new one appeared to take its place. Wonderful experience.

I'm looking forward to this very much.

Macrosan,

I would reccomend being non-vegetarian. I will try my best to create something exciting in the menu for the vegetarians. But I think the restaurants that I am thinking of, are not the type that are serving great vegetarian meals.

I would be dishonest in leading you astray.

In fact their meat preparations are what they would be most known for. So, re-think and let me know. I would strongly suggest being open to meat.

But that is my humble opinion alone.

And for those that are vegetarians, I want to add that the vegetarian option will be just as fabulous and special, and I shall be vegtarian that night, so please do not feel for a minute that you will have any lesser a meal.

It just happens to be that I am thinking of a chef that is a genius with meats cooked in Indian style.