• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

spiegelau glasses at amazon

russ parsons

i don't know what is going on exactly, but amazon is heavily discounting spiegelau glasses. frustrated after years of replacing riedels that shattered when i looked at them, i bought a dozen of the spiegelau chardonnay glasses from amazon when they were on special a couple of months ago (something like $6 a stem!). today, i noticed that if you buy a half-dozen bordeaux glasses for $60, they'll give you a half-dozen burgundy glasses free. i have been extremely happy with the quality of the spiegelaus i bought last time and picked up a dozen of each (24 glasses for $120).

Any way you slice it, two dozen Spiegelau large stems for $120 is a great deal. Thanks for the heads up -- I might make a purchase myself, if I can find some extra space. Only a restaurant is going to be able to get them at a price like that (one of our chef users can give us an exact price, but I think restaurants pay about $30 for the six packs).

Spiegelau is really cranking them out. I guess if you get the process automated and make enough of something you can sell it cheap. There's very little excuse left for people to be drinking out of anything else. When Amazon isn't running the sale, though, I'd be sure to check Wine Enthusiast, which lists very good prices and offers a lowest price guarantee. Perhaps they'd even match the Amazon sale price . . .

Note also that there are two products being offered on Amazon, Spiegelau Vino Grande and Spiegelau Collection. The Spiegelau Collection glasses are slightly taller and an ounce or so larger. I'm not aware of any difference in quality, but there's not much information out there on the Spiegelau Collection glasses -- not even on the Spiegelau Web site. The ones I have are Vino Grande.

I don't use the Chardonnay glasses at all, by the way. I use the Bordeaux glasses for all my whites. I think they develop the nose better and I also just prefer to drink out of them.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i confess: i bought the chardonnay glasses not because i thought they'd be better with chardonnay (or, in my case, more likely sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio or riesling), but because they were on sale. my affections (affectations?) are vinous, but my pocketbook is Scotch.

I may go over to Costco, they probably have Spiegelau by now. If they do, I'll post.

Zachy's is running a deal on Spiegelau, looks like Amazon's got them beat, especially if they still have the free shipping deal up

Bordeaux $6.99 (reg 8.99)

Burgundy 6.99

Champagne 6.99

Chard 6.99

Decanter 55 (down from 75)

Zachy's Riedel

Bordeaux Grand Cru 400 $55

Burgundy Grand cru 400 55

Montrachet 35

etc

more info at Zachy's

or take a drive to Scarsdale

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Transporting large Spiegelau-type stems is a hassle. They're cheap enough that it's no big deal to break one, but it's still inconvenient. For BYO purposes when I know the place I'm going will have lousy stemware -- and when I remember -- I have some heavier duty, smaller, but still oenologically correct wine glasses. They're thick and sturdy enough that they can be wrapped in a dish towel and thrown in a shoulder bag or shopping bag. I've never managed to break one.

However . . . let's have a spearate thread if we want to talk about guerilla BYO tactics.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I recently went to a BYO where our friends brought their own glasses. I enjoyed this so much that I want to get my own carrying case etc. The restuarant offered to rinse out the glasses but he refused. Said he doesn't have to worry about the glasses breaking.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I couldnt resist, I ordered a set of the bourdeaux and burgundy for the 60 bucks. What a deal!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

By the way, if anyone wants to buy these, we'd appreciate it if you do it though this link (click on the glass to buy):

B00005Y1E5.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also, note we have put a general Amazon link at the bottom of every page, so when you go to Amazon thru this link and make purchases, it supports eGullet.com. It doesnt cost any more to buy the item through this link than it does to go to Amazon.com normally, we just get a commission on a certain percentage of sales of items sold thru our site.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

it does not appear on the brown skin.

Your loss!

(It should be on all the skins soon enough, even the lovely brown one)