• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First home Indian meal

Lyle

Interest has been kindled in me about my relative ignorance of I decided to start with basic dishes as when I make my mistakes I would like to be able to identify where they took place and know...somewhat...what the dish SHOULD look and taste like.  I prepared Lamb braised in yoghurt with clove fennel cumin and tumeric.  Eggplant roasted with onion and tomato.  caulifower potato.  and Naan.

I am impressed by your confidence and your drive.

And I was pulled back into this thread for the 3rd time.. and am really very impressed by your experience and feel honored to have been a part of it through eGullet.

Thanks!

That menu you chose if far from simple and basic... But it seems you fared very well and have tackled Indian foods at a level that even most Indians would not be comfortable at without much effort. Kudos to you. In all sincerity.

On the naan issue, I guess I'm just not as picky as some of the others on this board.  Note I am not Punjabi, and so, I guess I don't have the same demands from my naan.  while those made in a tandoor will taste better, most of the restaurant made naan is usually worse than that I produce at home.  I haven't minded the consistency of those produced in the home oven (usually sans pizza stone).  These naan acheive the requisite chewiness, with a hint of crisp that I prefer.  Again not being Punjabi and not having experienced really good restaurant (or home) naan, I don't particularly care what the ideal type is.  I enjoy what we are able to produce in the home.  But, I always admire perfection whenever I see it.  I guess, then, my problem in the naan department is that I haven't been exposed to any very good to perfect specimens. :shock:  :hmmm:

Tonight, I used about 1 1/2 C. flour to 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup ghee, flour to knead. My oven actually reached 620 degrees. I achieved a much better browning, but a rather dry product. Tomorrow I will use similar proportions, properly heat my stone on the element then move it (faced time constraints tonight), and ghee half the product slightly before I put it on the stone.

Rice pie is nice.

On the naan issue, I guess I'm just not as picky as some of the others on this board.  Note I am not Punjabi, and so, I guess I don't have the same demands from my naan.  while those made in a tandoor will taste better, most of the restaurant made naan is usually worse than that I produce at home.  I haven't minded the consistency of those produced in the home oven (usually sans pizza stone).  These naan acheive the requisite chewiness, with a hint of crisp that I prefer.  Again not being Punjabi and not having experienced really good restaurant (or home) naan, I don't particularly care what the ideal type is.  I enjoy what we are able to produce in the home.  But, I always admire perfection whenever I see it.  I guess, then, my problem in the naan department is that I haven't been exposed to any very good to perfect specimens. :shock:  :hmmm:

Tonight, I used about 1 1/2 C. flour to 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup ghee, flour to knead. My top oven actually reached 620 degrees. I achieved a much better browning, but a rather dry product. Tomorrow I will use similar proportions, properly heat my stone on the element then move it (faced time constraints tonight), and ghee half the product slightly before I put it on the stone.

You are one determined cook. :smile:

But in the tandoor, no ghee is necessary... It is that what makes Tandoori cooking so brilliant.. that things get cooked, browned and crips without ever really needing any fat. Of course many recipes have some fat added in the marinade... but that is not necessary.

Tonight, I used about 1 1/2 C. flour to 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup ghee, flour to knead. My top oven actually reached 620 degrees. I achieved a much better browning, but a rather dry product. Tomorrow I will use similar proportions, properly heat my stone on the element then move it (faced time constraints tonight), and ghee half the product slightly before I put it on the stone.

But in the tandoor, no ghee is necessary... It is that what makes Tandoori cooking so brilliant.. that things get cooked, browned and crips without ever really needing any fat. Of course many recipes have some fat added in the marinade... but that is not necessary.

Again, merely ignorant. :wink:

Rice pie is nice.

Again, meerly ignorant. :wink:

Nope... merely a person of good taste.

Many of us from India, love ghee on our flatbreads. I love ghee on rotis, chapatis, parathas, naans and kulchas.

I decided to start with basic dishes as when I make my mistakes I would like to be able to identify where they took place and know...somewhat...what the dish SHOULD look and taste like.  I prepared Lamb braised in yoghurt with clove fennel cumin and tumeric.  Eggplant roasted with onion and tomato.  caulifower potato.  and Naan.

Would you be able to share the Indian names for these dishes you made?

That would give us an idea of what exact recipes you are mentioning..... Even more fun for our vicarious pleasures.

Thanks!

About the potato/cauliflower dish: There's no need to boil your potatoes first (according to Madhur Jaffrey). Cut them in thirds (like big french fries) and throw them in the hot oil, using your wok; set aside then proceed the same way with your cauliflower; I also like my cauliflower a little crunchy, certainly not mushy.

My motivation for cooking Indian food was very similar to yours and I've been enjoying it for quite a few years now. Keep learning and experimenting as they have been doing it for at least 6000 years!

About the potato/cauliflower dish:  There's no need to boil your potatoes first (according to Madhur Jaffrey).  Cut them in thirds (like big french fries) and throw them in the hot oil, using your wok; set aside then proceed the same way with your cauliflower;  I also like my cauliflower a little crunchy, certainly not mushy.

Golden words.

I never boil my potatoes for most Indian stir-fries. I enjoy most vegetables cooked through, but with a crunch.

I certainly am no fan of raw cauliflower but crunch cooked cauliflower is delicious to me like a perfectly crisp french fry can be.