• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

364954804_Ratatouille08-23IMG_1970.jpeg.d4bf8a5e1848301920cd7400d428eaea.jpeg

Significant Eater asked: "Is this caponata?"  I had to roll my eyes.

Years ago, the Italian deliveryman from my local super brought my order into the kitchen.   "Angelo" sniffed and hooted, "What's cooking?   It smells wonderful!"    I told him caponata.   He stopped in his tracks, and yelled at me, correcting my pronunciation , "CAH ponata!   CAH ponata!"   Then mocked in a soprano voice "CA ponata!"    He whirled and shaking his head left the house, but with a big grin.    

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

364954804_Ratatouille08-23IMG_1970.jpeg.d4bf8a5e1848301920cd7400d428eaea.jpeg

Significant Eater asked: "Is this caponata?"  I had to roll my eyes.

Years ago, the Italian deliveryman from my local super brought my order into the kitchen.   "Angelo" sniffed and hooted, "What's cooking?   It smells wonderful!"    I told him caponata.   He stopped in his tracks, and yelled at me, mimicking my pronunciation , "CAH ponata!   CAH ponata!"   Then mocked in a soprano voice "CA ponata!"    He whirled and shaking his head left the house, but with a big grin.