• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jury Duty - 100 Centre St. Starting 8/11/08

ewindels

The Man has tracked me down and I'll likely be stuck down there for two weeks minimum (Grand Jury duty). The only way to survive the ordeal is looking forward to sublime lunches. Many suggestions, please, especially Chinatown.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I really like New Hong Kong Noodles at 13 Mott St. Specialties are all sorts of fish cakes, fish balls, etc. There's also another new (ish) hand-pulled noodle place at 2 East Broadway, called Food Sing 88 Corp. A step up from the Eldridge and Forsythe St. places.

Check out the guys selling skewers of barbecued stuff on Mosco St. It's the same place where the egg cake lady used to operate - corner of Mosco and Mott.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I still like Nha Trang on Centre. Love their seafood and vegetables soup (a meal in itself or share if you have company) and their salt and pepper shrimp is the best I had in the city. Their pho is decent, also.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I still like Nha Trang on Centre. Love their seafood and vegetables soup (a meal in itself or share if you have company) and their salt and pepper shrimp is the best I had in the city. Their pho is decent, also.

Nha Trang also has very good Pho. Personal stop each time I crave it.

Also Chinese Ice cream Factory, nice and refreshing for hot day.

Jim

Try Jaya for Malaysian on Baxter near Walker (just south of Canal). Their crispy squid is awesome as is their roti canai (like an Indian paratha served with a spicy sauce with a piece of dark-meat chicken in it).

Or Marco Polo noodle shop just north of Jaya for a good-value giant bowl of noodle soup to power you through your proceedings (which usually involves just sitting around reading email or making friends or reading a book).

Sadly, I would have said chow on Mei Lai Wah's beef dumpling soup but they're now out of business. They had the best steamed pork buns in town, too.

You'll also be close to Little Italy so stop by Di Paolo's on Grand St for a sandwich and snag a tin of salt-cured anchovies and homemade sheep's milk ricotta to take home while you're there.

Sadly, I would have said chow on Mei Lai Wah's beef dumpling soup but they're now out of business. They had the best steamed pork buns in town, too.

You'll also be close to Little Italy so stop by Di Paolo's on Grand St for a sandwich and snag a tin of salt-cured anchovies and homemade sheep's milk ricotta to take home while you're there.

Reports are that Mei Lai Wah is reopening shortly, and may already be.

Would've said Di Palos, and it's a great choice, except at lunchtime you'll have to budget

more than an hour for the walk and the wait.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?